Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bypassing "Shift 1-4"

vmaquera

Corvette
99 Modified Z51 Coupe, 95 ZR-1, '81 Coupe, 62
Will the CAGS plug for a C5 fit on the Z?

If so, how is it installed?

Welcome to the CAC. I am sure that someone who knows the answer will chime in here shortly.

I would be surprised if it worked, but I have been wrong lots of times before. :D

Pseudomind said:
Check out this link for some information, By Z do you mean Z51 or Z06? Anyway it goes there should be a lead to answering your questiion.

I can't see a link. I assumed we were talking about a ZR1, as this is the ZR1 forum.

They were different tranny makers. So I'd guess they won't work. But you never know.

The wire to the CAGS module is on the driver's side of the tranny. You can reach it fairly easily from under the car. You can disconnect the wire and tape it up, though I *think* on a 1995 that will illuminate the check engine light? Or maybe that's just 1996 and up?

If it's the same as the C4 ZF 6 speed, to by-pass the 1-4, all you have to do is unplug the solenoid that is mount to the transmission. The by passplug is just an empty connector (no contact pins) that plugs in line with the old solenoid plugand harness, which just keeps dirt and moisture off the original connector should you choose to re-atttach the harness to the transmission.

Aurora40 said:
They were different tranny makers. So I'd guess they won't work. But you never know.

The wire to the CAGS module is on the driver's side of the tranny. You can reach it fairly easily from under the car. You can disconnect the wire and tape it up, though I *think* on a 1995 that will illuminate the check engine light? Or maybe that's just 1996 and up?

Did not illuminate ck eng on my 1996 lt4. FWIW

:)

ttt

Is there a down side to disabling this feature? I thought I had read somewhere that defeating the 1-4 shift was a bad thing to do.

Down side?

Nope.

Just disconnect the plug and wrap both ends up with some 3M electrical tape. That was already done to my ZR-1 when I bought it.

The only Vette with the CAGS working that I ever drove was a ¨demo¨ drive at the dealership... I romped on it hard enough that all of the gears fell into place naturally.;)

Try the old-fashioned method... double clutch into 2nd gear.

Will the CAGS plug for a C5 fit on the Z?

If so, how is it installed?

A C5 CAGS plug will not fit C4.

Just unplug the CAGS connector and tape it off. There is no detremental effect of doing that, however, the 1-to-4 light will still come on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom