Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-1 Clutch Project etc.

V

Vette66AirCoupe

I need to put a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing in my '60 283, 4 speed over the winter.

1. Do you folks have any strong preferences for manufaturers of clutches and pressure plates?

2. Can somebody refresh my memory on the tricks to getting the old pilot bushing out and getting a fresh one in? I seem to remember something about putting the new one in the freezer?

3. Should I replace the flywheel too? If so, pros and cons on an aluminum one? Suggestions on manufacturer?

4. The car has an open rear. What's involved with converting the rear end to a positraction set up?

1. Luk sells a complete kit for your car. Luk has a big OEM reputation. Centerforce also makes a kit for your car. Centerforce will be expensive. Are you going to beat on the clutch? You can probably buy a brand name clutch for your car at your FLAPS.

2. You can buy a pilot bearing puller for under $10.

Yes, put the new one in the freezer overnight before you install it.

3. Don't replace the flywheel. But have it resurfaced. Stick with a factory flywhhel unless you'll be racing the car.

4. Which you won't be doing with an open differential.

clutch

Well, here's my 2cents. If you don't plan on doing any racing or drive in launches, I would recommend a stock clutch from here, http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/ I have put about six clutches in my 60 in the last 34 years and this one works the smoothest without doing anything else. If you decied to go with a diaphram clutch, you may have to take off the gorrilla spring as it's refered to. If you have high hoursepower and plan on abusing it I'd go with LUC or one of those. Again, MO!

I've put several LuK "RepSet" 10.5" clutches in C1's (bought from Paragon), all worked very nicely with no problems. If your pumpkin is for an open rear (no long "P" cast into the driver's side adjacent to the casting number), you'll need to do some grinding inside it to put a posi carrier in it; Eaton now has new Posi units for C1 pumpkins - about $400.

Be sure and have the flywheel resurfaced, and you can also get the pilot bushing out by running a 5/8" tap through it, then put a 5/8" bolt in it and turn the bolt - it will pull the bushing right out.
:beer

Thanks for the advice guys. I love this place! :CAC

I just replaced by 57's stock clutch with a CentraForce and what a huge difference it made. It's velvet smooth! Also had my stock flywheel faced and ballanced. Luk clutches also have a good name and aren't as pricey as Centerforce.
I bought a cheap Harbor Freight pilot bearing tool ($15) and ground the ends a little to get it through the old pilot bearing when it was in the car....worked great.
John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom