Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-1 Turn Signal Cam

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
I've been fighting the whole tail light / no tail light issue with this car for years. every time I think I have it fixed (new bulbs, new wiring, etc...) it rears it's ugly head again.

I finally (actually a couple of months ago) bought a new Turn Signal Cancelling Cam and installed it a few days ago. Tested it all out before re-installing the steering wheel and everything appeared to work well. the new cam was quite a bit "stiffer" than the one I removed, but, other than that I could find nothing wrong with the old one.

First thing I did wrong was install the steering wheel one tooth off and on the test drive I found that the left turn signal would not stay engaged unless yoiu held it there with your hand. Took the steering wheel back off, took the new cam out and removed the long wire spring (not the two little ones) and put some white lithium grease in between the two washers that kind of hold it in place. Had already put the grease in other contact points. Re-installed the cam, tested again (befoer putting steering wheel on) and everything seems to be fine. Re-install the steering wheel (correctly this time) and take it for another test ride.

Now the left turn signal works as it should, but the right one does not return to center after making a turn. THis is a little dangerous as I've already had someone pull out in front of me because they thought I was making a turn when I wasn't.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Bernie O.

When through the same thing on my ’64. Yes, I know they are a completely different cam and switch. New wires, additional grounds, works good, put it back on the road and no lights on one side plus I has a dim feed back on all lights when they did work. Then an old time Chevrolet man said it’s in the switch harness. Told him I had checked all that to which he replied, “so have I on many occasions and it didn’t go away until the entire harness was changed.” Since I had it apart 4 or 5 times I decided to take his advise although I really didn’t think it would cure the problem.

All this summer I have had bright working turn signals and brake lights, see what I know.;shrug

Thanks Dad and John Z; I'll go over it again when I get home (provided the airlines ever let me and my bags get home - stranded in ATL since yesterday)

I wonder if the "leaf spring" is my problem. Other than the wiring harness, which was replaced in '95, I think it's the only part of the system that hasn't been replaced, although it does appear to be OK.

Is the leaf spring available from the usual vendors or do I simpy fashion one from some steel or SS banding material (that's what it looks like to me) ?

Thanks again, both of you, and I'll let you know what happens,

Bernie O

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom