Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 67 L-79 Holley replacement question.

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
I need to put my correct dated 3810 on the shelf and get a new Holley to drive the car. My 3810 leaks and now I noticed the throttle shaft has tons of play in it. My motor was just rebuilt and I would like to come up with a new Holley that will bolt on. I can see issues with the fuel inlet and the heated choke.
Can someone give me some advise on which Holley to run and how to hook up the fuel line and heated type choke. Thanks, Kurt

Kurt,

I replaced mine with a Holley 80457S

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=0-80457S

It comes with a banjo fuel fitting that will line up with your existing fuel line. I put a 2" length of rubber fuel hose with a couple hose clamps to hook it up. You must install a fuel filter somewhere in the line. I added a small in line filter just before the fuel pump. The choke needs 12v from a switched source, it should only be hot when the ignition switch is on. Make sure it does not come on in the accessory position (the wiper motor source is not good for that reason). Everything else fits like the original carb.

Mike

I called Holley today, they want over $400 to rebuild mine. I think I will just replace it with a new one as suggested. I wonder if there is a way to hook up the original stove choke to a new carb??? Thanks for the feedback.. Kurt

I'd have to agree that getting a new one is cheaper. Most times, people don't realize that we can restore the originals, so I mentioned it as a possibility. It does cost a little because the parts are harder to come by, and the work is all custom.

Did you ask our guys the choke question?

No I did not. I just asked about the rebuilding price.. I plan on driving the car and want a reliable carb. If I could, I would put an Edelbrock in it. They are easy to tune and DONT LEAK.. The Vette air cleaner wont fit on Edelbrock carbs without air horn spacers.. Kurt

you may actually find that ours don't leak either. then again, you could get a bad one from anybody.

Some people have actually had a high defect rate recently

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom