Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 Block or heads cast first??

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
In original state, how would the casting dates fall on blocks, and heads? Is there a typical order of which falls first. Also, how much time falls between the dates? 67 L-79. Thanks, Kurt

Casting Dates

Hi! Kurt

The casting dates normally fall with in a couple weeks of each other. The main concern would be that they proceed the engine assembly date. NCRS allows up to a 6-month window, but two to three week is the norm. I just pulled the dates and casting numbers from my 63 340HP engine. The heads were cast on different dates, one was cast on May E 14 3 and the other in June F 18 3. The block was cast in June F 25 3. The car is a July build and the engine was assembled on the 8th of July. I am 99.9% sure that this engine was never apart and original.

Hope this Helps!

Ray

Silver,

my 1963 Z06 SWC has July 11 build date! last three of VIN 367

c5vetter

My 340HP numbers are #19934.

Ray

kobi67 said:
In original state, how would the casting dates fall on blocks, and heads? Is there a typical order of which falls first. Also, how much time falls between the dates? 67 L-79. Thanks, Kurt

There's no "standard pattern", as inventory control wasn't very exact in those days; block dates and head dates (and pairs of head dates) can be anywhere from "all the same" to weeks (or more) apart. All that really matters is that block and head casting dates precede the engine assembly date stamped on the front pad, and all of those casting and assembly dates must precede the car's final assembly date. NCRS allows full judging credit for casting dates up to six months prior to the car's final assembly date.
:beer

kobi67 said:

Kurt,

My 67 L79 was built on Mar 16. The block is Feb 27 and the heads are Feb 9 & 10.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom