Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 Body lifting advise needed.

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
Well, This winter I plan on starting my first attempt at a body off restoration. I am one to plan before I start. I can already see I will have problems getting all the body mount bolts out. Any advise would be appreciated... Kurt

Body Off

Hi!

As for removing the body-mount bolts: You should get quite a few different answers to this question. I prefer not to use a torch. I applied penetrating oil every day for over two weeks. I then use an impact wrench to first tighten and then loosen. I have either removed the nut or broken the bolts. The hardest area for me would be the rear-trailing arm bolts. I usually get them out, but have heard some restorers have cut them out with a saw-all or recipacating saw.

As for restoring the 67: You can never be to organize. I take digital pictures of every process prior to starting. A picture will be worth a million words in the restoration process, not a thousand words when it is time for re-assembly. I bag and tag every part and have a condition and action check list for these parts. I set up pegboards for parts inventory control. I plan on starting the restoration on my 63 SWC and plan to control this restoration even closer than any of the past restorations.

I also became a member of the NCRS. If you plan on restoring the 67 to its original condition it is well worth the money. The wealth of Corvette knowledge among the members is amazing. You can also purchase the manuals and guides at a reduced cost that are a great help in the restoration process.

If I can be of any help just ask!

Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom