Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 Body mount removal tricks??

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
Getting ready to pull the body on my 67 Coupe. Are there any tricks to getting the body mounts apart?? I can see the ones under the cage will be the hard ones. I have been soaking them with PB Blaster, If this stuff works, I'll buy stock in the company... These bolts are rusted pretty good.. Any tricks?? Thanks, Kurt

I have spent so much time under my C1 I forgot what it looks like under a C2.But when I replaced the mounts on a freinds car.

We took a 7/16th deep socket and slid it on the number one mount and the number two mounting bolts so the socket was resting on the nut,We then took an air chizel with a 1 1/2" round head on it (Not sure what the chizel is meant for but it came with his air chizel)and just softley with low air pressure vibrated each nut we could get at and then re soaked it.Our biggest problem was with the last rear mount,the bolt was spinning in the captive nut.we put pressure on the body (lifting it) and the bolt finally bit on some threads and spun out.Good luck and we made our own problem with the rear most mount because (I think) we hit it with an exspencive snap on impact gun prior to giving it a good soak.Who knows maybee if we would have gave it a good squirt and then hit it with a breaker bar it may of came wright out,After we bugered that one up we worked on soaking them.

Be safe

kobi67 said:
Getting ready to pull the body on my 67 Coupe. Are there any tricks to getting the body mounts apart?? I can see the ones under the cage will be the hard ones. I have been soaking them with PB Blaster, If this stuff works, I'll buy stock in the company... These bolts are rusted pretty good.. Any tricks?? Thanks, Kurt
I am currently pulling the body on my 64... I soaked the bolts for 2 weeks straight. Everyday putting more and more penatrating oil. Then, I tried and tried to remove the bolts but they didn't budge. I finally broke down and brought out the impact wrench. Ended up breaking 2 of the bolts. I kindof figure I'll drill them out once the body is off.
So to answer your question, just beat the hell out of it...:L
Thanks, Craig

Just pulled my body today, and all the bolts came right out except the rear bolts. The cage nut was just rusted too bad. I just drilled the heads off the bolts with a 1/2" drill. I will rivet new cage nuts in place later.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom