Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 Underside metal parts color?

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
I know I have read this before and can't find any info thru a search. What finish is on the underside brackets? My car is a 67 coupe-Smith body.. Thanks, Kurt

I sed SEM Trim Black (or alternately - Krylon 1613 SemiFlat Black). I then used a q-tip with Acetone on it to remove the paint from the rivet heads. Lastly, I gave it a pray from the side to mimic the overspray pattern that was on the car when I took it apart.

IF not getting judged, paint it whatever you like!

b112304b.jpg

Looks real nice!!! Are all the parts black to be correct? I see the rockers look green. I was thinking the bracket back by the tank and the shoulder belt mounts in the rear wheel well were green also??

Untouched undercarriage

Here is a shot of my 65 when I first got it home. The body had been sitting in heated storage for 28 years, and had not been touched or molested in any way. You can clearly see red overspray that was most probably a result of painting part of the floor section, ( see pic 2 ). As you can see in previous pics, the complete rocker channel is also in green primer, however it is a few shades lighter that can be seen in the above picture.

Stepinwolf

Undercarrage.JPG

floor1.JPG

Step's picture of the metal bracketry looks like my 64 also. All the metal parts were green (zinc chromate?) just like the birdcage.

The entire birdcage was zinc chromate primer, applied after it was welded together, at both St. Louis and A.O. Smith. The riveted-on underbody brackets and reinforcements and the radiator support were black dip-prime on St. Louis bodies and were zinc chromate on A.O. Smith bodies, although most of the zinc chromate on the A.O. Smith radiator supports was covered with black during the underhood blackout operation.
:beer

Were the rear body mounts green also?? If so, all metal on the bottom were green?? Smith car.. Great pictures.. Thanks Guys..Kurt

kobi67 said:
Were the rear body mounts green also?? If so, all metal on the bottom were green?? Smith car.. Great pictures.. Thanks Guys..Kurt

Yes, although the rear wheel well deadener/blackout operation in the Paint Shop pretty much covered the green from an outside view. Generally speaking, any brackets riveted to the bottom side of the underbody were black on a St. Louis car and zinc chromate green on an A.O. Smith car when they were assembled.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom