Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-3 Carpet Replacement

Corvette
1971 LT-1 Convertible
I am completing the interior on my 71 LT-1 and purchased new carpet from Al Knoch. The carpet I pulled out has some padding about 3/8" thick glued to it in most areas such as the floor in front of the seats, & most of the storage area behind the seats (it's a convertible). The new carpet did not come with any padding and I don't see it sold as a separate item. My question: did the orig carpet come with this padding (the carpet I pulled out is not original) , if so where do purchase it? I'm sure many of you have put in new carpet and been where I am now so I would appreciate your input and any installation tips you can pass on.

Hi Tom,
while i havent replaced my carpet, i figured i'd give you a bump up for someone who has to see.. ;)

:w
-Stefan

I'd check with Al Knock. See what you are supposed to have. As I recall my new carpet from Corvette America had it but it was heat insulation rather than padding.

C-3 Carpet Replacemnet

I did check with Al Knock and found out the carpet can be ordered with the jute padding already cut and bonded to the carpet, or without. They indicated further that most trim shops order it without and install the old where possible or cut their own out in house. For $28 I was able to order the jute padding pre cut. I wish I would have had someone tell me this when I ordered it originally, but I think I was more concerned with the seat covers, foam & door panels to ask any more about the carpet. Lesson learned, you can never ask too many questions from a vendor.
Thank you for the advise.

Questions about quality of PLUSH! CARPET.

I bought my carpet set from Al Knoch at Bloomimgton Gold in June of 2005.
I am restoring my 74 vette and thought that the carpet would be of good
quality from Al Knoch. As you can see in my picture the sample on the right
was from a piece taken off the rear wheel well covers and storage compartment. The sample on the left was from the rear deck and is the same
for the driver and passenger compartment flooring. There is a 1/8 inch difference in thickness. I have called Al Knoch's countless times and no one can give me a reason for this variance in thickness. Has anyone come across this problem and do you know where I can get the thicker plush carpet?
Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom