Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 - Bubba-fied......Bubba, ya got me!!!

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I had my windshield all the way on BUT the last nut on the window post at the drivers corner. Everything was looking good. I had attached the previous 3 nuts that were 5/16-18 threads and was trying to get the last one on. Except it is in kind of a weird angle, well I thought I had cross threaded
crazy.gif
it when I looked up inside the cubby hole it is in. so I took all the nuts back off and pulled the windshield figuring I needed to run a 5/16-18 die over the thread.

I started to put the die on the thread and all of a sudden I realize that the thread isn't an 18 but a 24!
eek6.gif
Bubba had changed out the threaded stud and put in a fine thread rather than the coarse that was every where else. Needless to say, I got it cleaned up and there is now a nice new 5/16-24 nut on it. So in 20 years whoever goes into my windshield to do something, I am sorry...I left Bubbas fine thread stud in the window post....
willy_nilly.gif

Unbelievable!
thumbsup.gif

I had my windshield all the way on BUT the last nut on the window post at the drivers corner. Everything was looking good. I had attached the previous 3 nuts that were 5/16-18 threads and was trying to get the last one on. Except it is in kind of a weird angle, well I thought I had cross threaded
crazy.gif
it when I looked up inside the cubby hole it is in. so I took all the nuts back off and pulled the windshield figuring I needed to run a 5/16-18 die over the thread.

I started to put the die on the thread and all of a sudden I realize that the thread isn't an 18 but a 24!
eek6.gif
Bubba had changed out the threaded stud and put in a fine thread rather than the coarse that was every where else. Needless to say, I got it cleaned up and there is now a nice new 5/16-24 nut on it. So in 20 years whoever goes into my windshield to do something, I am sorry...I left Bubbas fine thread stud in the window post....
willy_nilly.gif

Unbelievable!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for Leav-en my bolt in thar. It should hold up real fine for antother 20 years.

redn.jpg

Thanks for Leav-en my bolt in thar. It should hold up real fine for antother 20 years.

redn.jpg
:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie
Like they say here in New England.....P-I-S-S-A-H!
Andy

He probably used a fan stud, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. What we have to realize is that in the past the number of restoration parts were not available like today so "Bubba" used what he had at hand.
Street Rodders, Hot Rodders, restorers etc have it made today compared to the past just look at the huge aftermarket suppliers yery few people have to fabricate anything anymore.
It used to be "I can do anything with a cutting torch and a Mig welder" now its pass the stack of catalogs.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom