Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 Convertible Top Lid Tabs

dennisb

Corvette
2007 White Vert, 72 Red Cpe. 66 Sunfire Yellow Ver
My 61 is missing the top lid tabs that snap on at the door jam. My question is other than where they snap on, are they fastened at the other end or do they just lay in place? I couldn't find anything in the AIM or the ST-12 that shows it fastened at the wider end only at the snap end. But when searching on vendor parts sites, I found an item for Top Lid Tab Screws (set of 8). Makes me think they have to be fastened or what would these screws be used for?

Anyone have a good pic?

The top tabs attach with screws through the front flange of the top compartment lid, underneath the bright molding (which hides the screw points).

2002228195532-4-TopLidPntBrk.JPG

:beer

My 62 has holes for this to mount. Last sunday I was at a car show and a fellow was there with a 61 and we were talking.His car had no holes for the top tabs on eather side,If his car was a hardtop only car would this explain why he has no holes for the tabs.He purchased the car in peices and it had no top at all with it, He now has a soft top for it.

JohnZ said:
The top tabs attach with screws through the front flange of the top compartment lid, underneath the bright molding (which hides the screw points).

2002228195532-4-TopLidPntBrk.JPG

Thank you John. The picture was very helpful. I guess one just has to make holes in the top tab to fasten it to the top lid. It appears the screws have some sort of grommet that comes with them.

But the picture has prompted another question. I assumed the top tab just snapped on to the snap on the body. But when searching vendor sites I found a part called a top tab slider clip. Looking very closely at your picture, it appears this clip is what is on the underside of the top tab on the driver side. If so, does this slide over the snap on the body? And how does it fasten to the top tap as there are no screws shown with the part.

PS: Can we do a Vulcan mind meld so I can just acquire your knowledge and not have to keep asking all these question?

The "slider" snap was introduced in '57, replacing the earlier ordinary round female snap fastener, due to customer complaints about tearing the tabs off the deck lid when they opened it without un-snapping the tabs from the body. With the "slider", if you forget to un-snap the tabs and open the lid, they just slide off the male snap instead of ripping the tab off.

The "slider" is riveted through the tab material to the round cap; the tabs are supplied with the cap and slider already installed.

JohnZ said:
The "slider" snap was introduced in '57, replacing the earlier ordinary round female snap fastener, due to customer complaints about tearing the tabs off the deck lid when they opened it without un-snapping the tabs from the body. With the "slider", if you forget to un-snap the tabs and open the lid, they just slide off the male snap instead of ripping the tab off.

The "slider" is riveted through the tab material to the round cap; the tabs are supplied with the cap and slider already installed.
Once again, Thanks. All I need to order then are the Tabs themselves. Mine already has the screws in the top lid compartment. Makes me wonder what happened to the tabs. Oh well.

Back when you used to see a lot of these solid axle cars on used car lots none of them had convertible top tabs on them. The first time I saw them in a catalog I wondered what they were. :L Even with the slider tab they probably didn't last too long in daily use before the screws pulled through the vinyl and they were just thrown away.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom