Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 Power Steering

• Thread starter Thread starter SRReality
  • Start date Start date
S

SRReality

Before I launch off into a fruitless hunt, "learn me" about adding power steering to a 62. Most of the time, I don't mind wrestling with the steering wheel, but once in awhile, my lazy side kicks in and my mind says: "wouldn't it be nice if this thing had power steering!".

To my knowledge, nobody makes a power steering conversion for C1's, other than replacing the entire front suspension with an aftermarket bolt-in system with a power rack-and-pinion steering gear, and adding fabricated conventional side engine mounts to allow a power steering pump to be mounted to the front of the engine. Any attempts I've seen at doing it with the original front suspension were real "cobble jobs". :(

Thanks for the "heads up". I'll just do more upper body exercises and build up my arms and wrists!

SRReality said:
Thanks for the "heads up". I'll just do more upper body exercises and build up my arms and wrists!

since exercise is no fun, just drive the car more often. driving it will build up those muscles and it will be just the muscles you need too so your not wasting time on other useless excercises!
;LOL

I have seen a kit for C1 power steering. I remember considering it about 2 years ago. If you are still interested I will see if I can dig up who it was available through. I don't know anything about the reliability or reputation of the kit company.

studiog said:
I have seen a kit for C1 power steering. I remember considering it about 2 years ago. If you are still interested I will see if I can dig up who it was available through. I don't know anything about the reliability or reputation of the kit company.
Found it.
http://www.cranescorvette.com/prod03.htm

Seems to be allot of warnings about proper installation and condition of existing parts. :eek

Also wouldn't want to interfere with my "cold drink to lips" muscles, or "colbeer", as I heard it in Eureka Springs this weekend.

I found the Crane website earlier today! My engine isn't stock, which might complicate fitting a bracket(s) to hold the pump, but I'll go back to "thinking about it"! Thanks for taking the time to "dig through your memory banks"!

Have you considered the generator mounted power steer. pump used on the pass. cars,C1 fast steering adapter,C2 control valve and cylinder.

I remember the hard part was centering the cylinder to steer equal from left to right.

SRReality said:
I found the Crane website earlier today! My engine isn't stock, which might complicate fitting a bracket(s) to hold the pump, but I'll go back to "thinking about it"! Thanks for taking the time to "dig through your memory banks"!
If you want to do away with the engine driven pump you can use an electric pump from a Toyota MR2 93-96. I'm using one on my 68, a little noisy but no trouble driving the PS box.

Tyler

vettework said:
Have you considered the generator mounted power steer. pump used on the pass. cars,C1 fast steering adapter,C2 control valve and cylinder.

I remember the hard part was centering the cylinder to steer equal from left to right.
Mine has been converted to an alternator, but tell me more about the fast steering adapter. I'm building my winter project list.

The fast steering adapter was part of RPO 687 (Heavy Duty Brakes and Steering), and reduced the overall steering ratio from 21:1 to about 17:1 for racing, with a significant increase in steering effort. The reproduction adapters are junk.

:beer

Cranes ram-assist system is currently the only aftermarket power steering kit I'm aware of. His kits use either a generator mounted pump or engine block mounted pump. For block mounted, seems I remember he was using a canton or sweet pump ..now appears he switched to a C5 aluminum pump. I'm assuming he's using a modified (brackets/mounts) C2/C3 power assist ram setup. No bolt-in C1 rack & pinion setups out there yet ..unless you want to swap in a complete independent front suspension - but thats a fully committed effort (frame drilling/welding, column cutting, side motor mounts etc.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom