Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 SUSPENSION UPGRADE

4spd

I have been looking at different suspensions for my C1. Flat Out Engineering makes a set up that utilizes 84-87 corvette components. I would have to cut the frame and weld on their component which the vette stuff bolts on to. Has anyone installed this set-up or a different suspension on their C1 (1960) with good results. I would like to do this only one time!!!!!
4spd.

My 62 has an SR111 aftermarket frame under it I absolutley love the way it drives

I dont think its that tough of a job to do. or should I say much harder the converting an excisting frame to modern suspention

Herb

Is in the midst of converting his front end and rear end

Lets see his input

if you do a search under my screen name you will find a bunch of photos and comments....I am in the midst of putting a jim Myers racing front and rear under my car. I have the body off so you can see a lot. The body is at the body shop as we speak getting fixed. I am hoping by Christmas or so to be putting the body to the frame for the last time.

here is a link to my photo site.... http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/

This is pretty much bolt in, for both front and rear. The front does require one tab on each side to be welded. The rear has only 3 spots that need to be welded. I did the tack welding in place. Got our fab shop from work to really do it right.

Much much easier to do with body off for sure.

I have never done anything like this. So this is quite the experience for me. To give you an idea, last time I did any welding was 33 years ago in shop class. They still have shop class these days don't they? HAHA

I can tell you, that when I am done, I will have easily tripled the original cost of the car. So unless you have got cash to sink in a project like you are talking, DONT DO IT. In my case, I am having so much fun, that it is addictive and it is only money. Thank goodness my kids are grown, my ex wife is almost paid off and my finace, Sharon is a saint!

Take a look at the photos....let me know what questions you might have.....

good luck....Herb

I have been looking at different suspensions for my C1. Flat Out Engineering makes a set up that utilizes 84-87 corvette components. I would have to cut the frame and weld on their component which the vette stuff bolts on to. Has anyone installed this set-up or a different suspension on their C1 (1960) with good results. I would like to do this only one time!!!!!
4spd.

I am not familiar with the Flat Out modification, but I added C4 suspension to my wife's 62. ( www.carols62.com ) I copied the Newman (Car Creations) conversion and have about 25,000 miles on mine. I am now working on a '59 and I am using a new frame which has provision for bolting on C4 suspension. The frame I am using on the '59 is made by Corvette Correction in Seguin, TX, owner's name is Billy Dawson. My opinion is that you will be better off using one of the new frames rather than modifing the old one. The new ones are more rigid and you never really know what is inside the old frame rails. I sold my '59 rolling frame for more than I paid for my new frame, but the old frame was NCRS restored.

Charles

I put a Jim Meyers front end under my 60. It was a handful with everything on the car. I really like it. The only thing I like to point out is that it has NO provisions for a front licence bracket. Here in Wistaxin, it's mandatory to have the front licence plate on. Pricey, but worth it, to me.

Thanks for the info

It sounds like ther are a bunch of choices. I will have to weigh out all of the info. I will try to see some of these cars with the mods at the various shows. Thank you so much for the information provided.
4spd

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom