Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 Tire question

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
I have bias ply tires on my 60 and was wondering will flat spotting be a problem over the winter? Looks like the car will be in the garage from mid November til April or May...

IF this will create flat spots.. what's the pros and cons to putting the car up on jacks versus wheel dollys?

Thanks.

Most "flat spots" will disappear after 5-10 miles of driving. Putting it up on jackstands won't hurt a C1, as all the front suspension bushings are metal-to-metal, not rubber; bad idea for '63-up.

Cars up on jackstands can't be moved in a hurry...like if there's a fire....

:beer

I thought that was a good response about moving the car incase of fire .
I'm glad i got a four post lift now. I was concerned as well about jack stands for
my 64 vett.

My '59 is up on jack stands because a couple of the tires won't hold air. I replaced one on the rear (valve stem rotted off) and I should put a roller on the left front and get it back on the ground.

I have thought that storing a car up on a lift may also be a bad situation since the fire dept. cuts the electrical power to a house on fire the first thing when they arrive. It would be sad to have your garage door open and have to watch your car burn because you can't lower it down.

Believe me when I say If the fire is that bad I will worry more about my family than a
stingray. Good Insurance and find another one to build up. God willing we all will have long healthy lives with our cars and love ones. PS I will get a generator as back up.

Believe me when I say If the fire is that bad I will worry more about my family than a
stingray. Good Insurance and find another one to build up. God willing we all will have long healthy lives with our cars and love ones. PS I will get a generator as back up.[/quote

Wayne,, nice to hear you got your lift.

If if comes to a fire.. other than getting the family out evetything else can be replaced... the insurance will cover the value of the car....
then think of all the fun in starting all over again...

Joe
:beer

Thanks , The lift works great. If you need to use in the spring feel free.

A friend mentioned he puts four screw jacks under frame and just takes the weight off the suspension. Might be an idea depending how cheap the screw jacks are .

....in case of fire..

How about a chain securely hooked to the car for the winter....tucked under out of the way. Throw the garage door up.. hook the chain to whatever you've got (fire engine?). yank the car off the stands and out of danger.....you might not be able to get to the steering wheel or drivers door anyway....provided the battery is up and you can even find the keys ...house on fire remember.

At least you would have "less" of a project to repair/rebuild. These cars don't grow on trees ...where you can just go get another one all that easy.

And all this of course while the family watches in safety from the neighbor's lawn...

Stan..

Better make sure the garage door opener is working.. I think getting the door open might be the bigger challenge .. with the electric door opener.. I like the chain idea.. or better yet put the car on car dollies.. and the hook up the chain.. just need a way to stop it.. hopefully it wont be a firetruck at the end of the driveway..

A friend mentioned he puts four screw jacks under frame and just takes the weight off the suspension. Might be an idea depending how cheap the screw jacks are .

BAD idea. Allowing the suspension to hang at full rebound for an extended period of time will destroy the rubber bushings in the upper and lower control arms and rear trailing arm pivots. :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom