Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 Update on my 61 restoration.

S

studiog

Just a quick update on my progress... or lack there of.

1) My windshield and door posts are on their way back from the chromer almost a week early. They only had them for a little over 2 weeks. They were in decent shape though. I used Superior Chrome, I asked them to be especially careful not to break the tabs on me. Larry (IH2LOSE) you can shoot me if they come back broken.

2) Sent out heater core to be repaired or recored as necessary. I have the highest respect for my radiator guy, known them for 20 years.
My wallet is getting very light

3) Got everything under the hood wired up.

4) Installed new horns

5) Brakes bleed and master rebuilt. Pedal feels great

6) Clutch linkage all hooked up

7) Throttle linkage all hooked up

8) New windshield ordered and they will help me install the windshield frame.
Did I mention my wallet is getting very light?

9) Removed the wiper transmission on the drivers side as I am having problems with the cable run. Not sure weather I should rebuild or just send it out. Any comments??

10) Finally got the old key cylinder out of the ignition switch ( the hard way... with a drill)

11) Started prepping my dash cluster for paint.

12) Ordered another $100's worth of miscellaneous small odds & ends parts that look like they should cost about $10.00.
Did I mention that my wallet is getting very light?

13) Started pricing interior packages. Corvette Central seems to have the most complete package as I need just about everything for the interior. Comments welcome.

Well I guess that's about it, my last Corona is just about empty anyways.

Doug (Z28 Canuck) can you recommend some good Canadian beer?
:cool

You are making good progress on the car! Are you planning on taking it to Carlisle? Keep the momentum going, you will be done before you know it!

Regards, John McGraw

My windshield and door posts are on their way back from the chromer almost a week early. They only had them for a little over 2 weeks. They were in decent shape though. I used Superior Chrome, I asked them to be especially careful not to break the tabs on me. Larry (IH2LOSE) you can shoot me if they come back broken.

Gary
even with the problems I had with my chrome.The guy stepped up to the plate and did the right thing.As I said I would use him again for other work.Did you tell them you know me? I wont get into all of my details again but there is just NO way that could happen to any body else except for maybee Barry.It was just my luck or lack of luck.

As for the windsheild call me before you start building it and I let you know the mistake I made.Also I have the rubber windsheild weatherstrip creeping out of the corner on mine (I have a picture of it in my clubphoto account) and still dont know the reason.

I would say the most important part of the windsheild build is to find the center of ever thing,weather strip.windsheild,lower molding,lower steel u channels,top molding.and DONT remove the marks untill the windsheild is on the car. Also have thumb-gum on hand to hold the retainer plates in place.No mater how much you belive that they wount move as soon as you Whack it with the dead blow hammer they move and then you have to pull it apart to re set the plates.

And yes I know the feeling of a light wallet. But in a short time that will all be forgoten.

Best of luck how about some photos

John Mcgraw said:
You are making good progress on the car! Are you planning on taking it to Carlisle? Keep the momentum going, you will be done before you know it!

Regards, John McGraw
I plan to go to Carlisle hopefully with the 61 if feel confident after a few shake down cruises. I can feel it coming together all of a sudden. Hope I make it in time.

IH2LOSE said:
I wont get into all of my details again but there is just NO way that could happen to any body else except for maybee Barry.

;LOL

Too funny. The guy I'm getting the windshield from said they would help me install it or more correctly I will help them. They are suppose to have allot of vintage auto glass experience. We'll see. I will take along the threads you and John posted on the subject for reference. Talk later Larry.

Gary

Great progress! Can't wait to see the car at Carlisle and meet you.
We want pics!! :)

IH2LOSE said:
but there is just NO way that could happen to any body else except for maybee Barry.

oh geez!! I'm never going to hear the end of it :eyerole

BarryK said:
oh geez!! I'm never going to hear the end of it :eyerole
Barry, you're an inspiration to us all the way you keep your cool in the face of many set backs that might push some of us over the edge. Whenever things go wrong for me or my luck is bad I just say "it could be worse, I could be Barry". Just kidding, but it does help to share the setbacks.
;LOL

studiog said:
Whenever things go wrong for me or my luck is bad I just say "it could be worse, I could be Barry". Just kidding, but it does help to share the setbacks
;LOL

oh great, now you too?! I thought I only had to deal with this from Larry! :hb

what a reputation I've built up for myself on this board in the time I've been here.
you know, I don't need to come on here and get this treatment from you people, I can stay here at home and get it from my wife! ;LOL

From now on, no more bad luck for me, i'm only going to be a carrier......
:gap

studiog

Hi!

It is great to read that you are making steady progress. Once you get all the parts you need to finish the project it will proceed very quickly. What are you using for ignition? Are you using the standard dual point distributor? If you are going with the dual point distributor what ballast resistor are you using? Sorry for all the questions, but I still haven't solved my resistor problem.

Ray

Barry, still waiting for the "pictures as seven”.

hi Ray
I saw Baby yesterday. not much exciting to post for pics. He was finishing putting in the door glass and had the headlight buckets reinstalled.
Waiting to get the windshield and rear window back in so he can finish up the final wetsanding and buffing - he wants all the glass in first before he finishes that so that the mess from the wetsanding doesn't get all inside the interior. Once that's done it will finish up pretty quickly.

studiog said:
Well I guess that's about it, my last Corona is just about empty anyways.

Doug (Z28 Canuck) can you recommend some good Canadian beer?
:cool

Boy, I drive the support vehicle with Canadian beer in the back (or moose pee as Tom calls it) and now I'm labelled as the beer expert!;) . Well to reward you for all your hard work so far forget the smooth, light, or honey ale, lets go right to the knock your socks off good stuff. Try to get Molson "XXX" (8% I believe). This triple X is potent so pull up a chair and an ice cooler in the garage and stay put. After you drink about a dozen you'll notice your car "appears" to be finished, it will look great, fuzzy, hazey, a bit out of focus, and moving around a lot but never the less finished! Admire it cause it only looks this way for about an hour OK? If your wife calls you don't answer, well forget it anyway cause she won't understand a word you say at this point anyway. Don't go bar hopping either as I told you already everything will look good! I don't want to hear any coyote ugly stories when I see you at Carlisle OK?;) ;LOL .

I hope this gave you a little smile, I know you still have a bit of work to go but grab any CANADIAN brooski and enjoy. If you need my advice on anything mechanical you're in trouble cause it's even worse than my beer advice! Have a great day. I have to go now and water our moose herd so Bob and I have our Carlisle supply of "Canadian beer".:beer

61 Progress

Studio, Congrats on the progress! I wish I could say the same. I've been quite busy at work & with my boat, deck and other honey-do items. The 61 has taken the back seat. I'm learning that I not take on so much at once except the vette. Oh well, I have had the car almost 33 years now & it has been better than money in the bank... I haven't had to pay any interest on it! Larry

I had to do a seperate post as this one is serious Gary.;) You certainly have been busy lately considering all the weekends and nights you couldn't work on the car as you were too busy with other things! Amazing though just how many parts there are to everything and each job seems to grow larger than when you first looked at it. All you guys have our respect for the level of patience it takes to do these right and not give in to the urge to take the shortest route. Especially when it means time and money, the temptations can be tough. Remember how many people are following you guys through your restorations so keep setting the great example you do and I hope everything else goes good for you. You guys are due some smooth sailing as you've all had your shares of unexpected "Surprises" lately. Please keep the updates and pics coming and we'll see you in Aug !:upthumbs
Doug

Whenever things go wrong for me or my luck is bad I just say "it could be worse, I could be Barry".

You know I like Barry so much that I wont do it.But this would have made an excellent quote to add to my signature.

well, just go ahead if you need to so bad Larry. i'm sure it's killing you not to do it. :ugh

61 Silver said:
studiog

Hi!

It is great to read that you are making steady progress. Once you get all the parts you need to finish the project it will proceed very quickly. What are you using for ignition? Are you using the standard dual point distributor? If you are going with the dual point distributor what ballast resistor are you using? Sorry for all the questions, but I still haven't solved my resistor problem.

Ray

Barry, still waiting for the "pictures as seven”.

Ray, I broke in my motor before I dropped the body, I have a dual point distributor and the ballast resistor is an after market but I also kept the original. I am not having any problems with it that I am aware of. What kind of trouble are you having?

studiog

I also purchased the after market .3-ohm resister. I ran the engine for a good 30 minutes to break in the cam prior to body drop. After body drop I ran the engine again for about 30 minutes. The next day I could not get the car to start. I check the points only to find the left set was burnt. I check voltage out of the resistor and it was at or about 10V. I believe that 10 volts is 2 volts too many. I installed different set of points and condenser and test-drove the 61. I had about 75 miles on the car and burnt another set of points. I then installed an after market resistor that measures .8 Ohms and 8 Volts. The car has run fine ever since. I just purchased and original black dot D1111 1931385 resistor but am hesitant to install it until I am sure what is causing the problem. If you get a chance, and I know you are very busy with your restoration, measure the voltage at the coil and at the resistor. This should be done when the resistor is hot. Are you using the 091 coil?

Thanks Ray

Z28Canuck said:
Boy, I drive the support vehicle with Canadian beer in the back (or moose pee as Tom calls it) and now I'm labelled as the beer expert!;) . Well to reward you for all your hard work so far forget the smooth, light, or honey ale, lets go right to the knock your socks off good stuff. Try to get Molson "XXX" (8% I believe). This triple X is potent so pull up a chair and an ice cooler in the garage and stay put. After you drink about a dozen you'll notice your car "appears" to be finished, it will look great, fuzzy, hazey, a bit out of focus, and moving around a lot but never the less finished! Admire it cause it only looks this way for about an hour OK? If your wife calls you don't answer, well forget it anyway cause she won't understand a word you say at this point anyway. Don't go bar hopping either as I told you already everything will look good! I don't want to hear any coyote ugly stories when I see you at Carlisle OK?;) ;LOL .

I hope this gave you a little smile, I know you still have a bit of work to go but grab any CANADIAN brooski and enjoy. If you need my advice on anything mechanical you're in trouble cause it's even worse than my beer advice! Have a great day. I have to go now and water our moose herd so Bob and I have our Carlisle supply of "Canadian beer".:beer

Molson XXX.... Just in time for the weekend I'll give it a shot. My life is already fuzzy and out of focus so I may not notice the difference
:)

Larry Shermak said:
Studio, Congrats on the progress! I wish I could say the same. I've been quite busy at work & with my boat, deck and other honey-do items. The 61 has taken the back seat. I'm learning that I not take on so much at once except the vette. Oh well, I have had the car almost 33 years now & it has been better than money in the bank... I haven't had to pay any interest on it! Larry
Larry I have tried to divest myself from as many extraneous maintainance items this year as possible. I sold my boat last year so I wouldn't have to deal with it this summer. I painted the house last summer so I wouldn't have to deal with that this sumer also and have postponed other projects till the Vette is done. But I can't get away from work and family obligations but that is life. I'm just trying to stay focused on it till it is done. Good luck with your project. Where are you on your project now??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom