Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Alarm system Recommendation...

1965RRR

Corvette
1965 Rally Red Roadster
I'm planning a road trip with my 65 and I am concerned about security. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best system to look into?
Thanks and Happy New Year!

probably 45 or 9mm and gaurd dog would be a good start:r Steve

Of couse that goes without saying, but I was considering an alarm system in addition to...

I'm planning a road trip with my 65 and I am concerned about security. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best system to look into?

I'm assuming you are going to try the 'overnight in the motel trick' or the nice eating place.
I tried an active and passive alarm system that would sound at the car and also page me with a pocket pager. Didn't work on my old camero. Alarm went off and pager went off. Car was gone in less than 30 sec.
Your worst enemy is the tow truck. It won't really take them one min.
And they don't need to start or drive it.
Now we are down to what to do.?
The club helps. Turn the stearing wheel all the way one way before puttng on the club. The alarm sound and passive helps. And a huge link chain that is too big for normal cutters with the thickest padlock and a grade 8 bolt through the links. Also, a battery disconnect with a removable knob.
By yourself is real risky. Better to have a group with a hired guard. The best is to place the car on at least two jack stands with the tires in the room with you. A real hazzle but the car will still be there.
Good luck

Yeah, several of us were hoping to do Route 66 heading west. The extra precautions and worry may take away from the enjoyment. We do have time to make a plan. Thanks.

C2 alarm

Of course a good alarm system, I have a dummy coil wire that I install, and last but not least a car cover..... "Out of sight out of mind". Who knows could be an old Miata under there...........:beer

Excellent suggestion - thanks.

As far as an alarm system, is there one that is rated "the best?"

Excellent suggestion - thanks.

As far as an alarm system, is there one that is rated "the best?"

if you want my opinion don't bother with any alarm, it's not really going to help. If someone like a Pro really wants the car they WILL get it no matter what no matter if you have the most expensive electronic alarm installed, a club, a battery disconect or anything else.
This comes from many years working as a factory sales rep for one of the largest vehicle security system manufactuers in the industry. The company I worked for not only made some of the top aftermarket alarms but also many of the factory installed systems.

First of all, if the alarm goes off nobody pays attention to them anymore anyway since they is always a car alarm going off. The ones with pagers that tell you if going off I personally consider dangerous since you may want to go running out to your car to interrupt the thief but there is now a very good chance you will end up getting shot, stabbed, and injured in one way or another if you can actually confront the thief.

In my opinion about the best you can do is some type of simply battery disconnect or starter interrupt to stop a younf kid just looking for an easy joyride but you will never stop a pro from taking the car if he really wants it, period.

also, in my opinion if you have a 'vert, don't bother to lock the doors either because all you will end up with is a slashed top if a thief is looking to grab something from the inside of the car.

just my $.02

C2 alarm

I would consider a LOJAC, you may not stop the thief but you want to get the car back in one piece. And no one in there right mind would part out a c2. Remember I said "right mind".:_rock

Lojack won't help on rt66 but works in some cities. Check with local police to see if they will trace in your city.

I bought an alarm that allows me to surpress the beep at arm and disarm. My (no longer available in the USA) cellalarm calls me on my other cell phone if the car alarm goes off.

There are alarm systems available that call you if the alarm goes off. Check the web.

There are also GPS tracking companies that offer hardware and services.

You could install a brake lock which would make it impossible to toe and difficult to get on a ramp truck. all you do is pump up the brakes and through a valve and it locks all the wheels . trucks use them as saftey brakes just a thought Steve

out of all of the above, the 9mm and big guard dog, we had one that weighed 120 lbs that commanded a lot of respect, are probably the surest. Kinda takes away from the fun of a long trip doesn't it. Some of the forum members have lost cars on trips. Not a good way to enjoy breakfast.

Most medium to large towns and cities have security services for rent. I would have no problem in paying the 8$ to 10$ hourly wage these people charge, to have one outside my Motel room all night to baby sit my Corvette, :nono so that it would still be there the next morning.

Cheap insurance, and a héll of a lot less expensive then the deductible on my insurance policy.

Stepinwolf

Most medium to large towns and cities have security services for rent. I would have no problem in paying the 8$ to 10$ hourly wage these people charge, to have one outside my Motel room all night to baby sit my Corvette, :nono so that it would still be there the next morning.

Cheap insurance, and a héll of a lot less expensive then the deductible on my insurance policy.

Stepinwolf

This idea I like......a lot. I'd sure sleep better in the hotel room.

Bob, I like your " retro " Avatar, so I figured I would go one better.

At this age I still had teeth, and hair. ;LOL

Stepinwolf

I am finally coming to a close on my car and have wondered about the alarm thing myself. You are right a pro gonna get it, but a hidden GPS tracking devise works like lojack but you can find it yourself (computer needed) so you can show up with that 44 and a big dog and a baseball bat.
go here for an example.

http://www.vehicle-tracking.com/products/products.html

This is a Great Thread. I want to add a very easy added no start feature to consider. Remove the Coil. This can't take more than a minute to handle before locking up for the night. If you are so unlucky that the thief came with a replacement Coil for your car, your alarm that pages you is one of the best. A thief doesn't want to attract attention. A large string of firecrackers works great. It will wake the whole motel up and the police will want to get you so they will rush right over. The brake peddle will only stop someone that wants to drive it off.. The tow truck will raise the hood and cut the brake line. I don't mind running out of the motel room with my shotgun..

Well how aggressive do you want to get with a system? Are you OK with some additional holes in the car?

The new alarms can be pretty simple or out of control complex.

The tracker style system I feel is a no brainier as it runs off the car battery,then has its own optional stand by battery, problem is that they need to see the satlite.and with a corvette its not so easy to get an antenna to work correct.

You dont really need the door censors I use just an interior motion detector censors and 2 exterior motion censors. You can also install a siren and also a strobe light.

There is allot of new cool stuff out on the market now. Go to a high end shop and see what they can tell you.

Listen as we know if they want it they will get it no matter what (even if its tucked neatly in you garage) But we have to do whatever we can to alert us of a possible theft.

And I treat every alarm as some one is steeling my car. I dont run out,I sneak out to see who may of set off my alarm and carefully scan the area to make sure its not some one in hiding and just checking my response time. The person who just runs out may be the person who does run in to trouble.

Get an alarm and dont just charge out there,Use caution

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom