Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C2 Coupe windshield molding removal and install

M454ss

Corvette
1965 L-79 Coupe
I'm in the process of painting my car. Apparently the windshield has been out before, as the molding doesn't seem to be held on with clips, but with some type of adhesive. Any suggestions how to remove without molding damage? Also how about re-installation of molding. Thx, Mike D

First off, Welcome to CAC, M454ss. You'll find a number of very knowledgeable people here. I know Jackfit recently had the windshield out of his 66 and talked about it.

Windscreen mouldings

I'm in the process of painting my car. Apparently the windshield has been out before, as the molding doesn't seem to be held on with clips, but with some type of adhesive. Any suggestions how to remove without molding damage? Also how about re-installation of molding. Thx, Mike D

Hi Mike, Recently had the screen out of my 67 coupe, same situation as yours, it was glued in with a black sealer, the mouldings were held in with the clips but also with the glue. It was a major to remove them hence they all received damage, I surgest getting a new screen rubber that would be cheaper than repairing or replacing the damaged mouldings. Use a new box cutter ( Stanley knife ) and get under the moulding and cut all the way around the screen push the knife all the way under the moulding, you will probley cut the screen rubber as well. Because you are painting the car you don't need to worry about scratching the paint, cut under both sides of the moulding. You will still need to lever under the mouldings but by cutting first will mean less pressure needed so hopefully no damage. Buy a new set of screen clips and you may also need the screws as well, about 50-60 clips are in the set and the holes will be there around the opening, remove all the old glue before reinstalling the new clips and screen. Good luck.

C2- Coupe windshield molding

Hi Mike, Recently had the screen out of my 67 coupe, same situation as yours, it was glued in with a black sealer, the mouldings were held in with the clips but also with the glue. It was a major to remove them hence they all received damage, I surgest getting a new screen rubber that would be cheaper than repairing or replacing the damaged mouldings. Use a new box cutter ( Stanley knife ) and get under the moulding and cut all the way around the screen push the knife all the way under the moulding, you will probley cut the screen rubber as well. Because you are painting the car you don't need to worry about scratching the paint, cut under both sides of the moulding. You will still need to lever under the mouldings but by cutting first will mean less pressure needed so hopefully no damage. Buy a new set of screen clips and you may also need the screws as well, about 50-60 clips are in the set and the holes will be there around the opening, remove all the old glue before reinstalling the new clips and screen. Good luck.

GREAT INFO!!!!!!! Thx, Mike D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom