Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 - new addition

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
ok, I should have been working on the '60 this weekend, but a new addition to the RED collection was obtained and we needed to drive out to get it. Thursday through Saturday morning we were at a conference for Sharon down in Savannah. Got home Saturday early afternoon and jumped into the truck with the trailer and drove almost to Iowa (we were in western Illinois).
Sunday morning we picked this up from her previous owner and got home about midnight.

Car spent a number of its early years in Missouri and Texas. Virtually no rust on the frame nor the bird cage. All the mechanicals have either been replaced or rebuilt. car needs a paint job (photo's don't show what it needs in this area) and new rubber seals on the doors and such. The rear bumpers were replated a few years ago and the fronts do not show a need at this point. The dash pad and steering wheel need to be replaced (both have cracks). Runs good! 250HP and 4 speed matching numbers.

So as soon as the '60 is done, this will be the next project! More photos to come in the future... right now, back to work on the '60 and will be just driving the '63 the rest of the summer as is!

IMG_1158Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1163Small-vi.jpg

A RED SWC!!! Congrats!

I'll defintely look forward to photos. :cool

:wJane Ann
there will be more...especially the underneath.....that was amazingly clean! The guy I bought it from really took care of the car for the past 12 years that he has owned it.

More to come...

regards, Herb

I am really envious of the RED SWC with a red interior and a 4 speed. My corvettes are and have been red, except for my white SWC with RED interior with 4 speed I owned while stationed in Alaska in 1964-65. I loved that car!

I have been following your posts on the 1960 restoration with great interest. Thank you for the up-dates, have been looking for new posts from you almost daily. There is nothing like a RED corvette, unless it is another one.

Congratulations Herb on your new addition! You never rest do you?;):D Between you and Bob we could have some CAC Garagefests both sides of the border to help build these garages and have a "Little" socializing as well of course:upthumbs
Another nice find Herb! We're looking forward to the project pics when you get into it.
Doug

I am really envious of the RED SWC with a red interior and a 4 speed. My corvettes are and have been red, except for my white SWC with RED interior with 4 speed I owned while stationed in Alaska in 1964-65. I loved that car!

I have been following your posts on the 1960 restoration with great interest. Thank you for the up-dates, have been looking for new posts from you almost daily. There is nothing like a RED corvette, unless it is another one.
thanks...seems like I have come to a crawl since I have been wrestling with the windshield trying to get it right on the '60. I have the dash pad and cluster installed, but have been trying to get this windshield perfect (easier said than done).

I will get some photos tonight and post where I am at.....

The '63 will be just driven this summer along with the '64 to shows until I get the 60 going, then all three will somehow find their way to shows....this fall (the 60 should be done) we will take the trim off the '63 and strip the paint letting Harry have at it with a new paint job as well.

stay tuned!!!

Congratulations Herb on your new addition! You never rest do you?;):D Between you and Bob we could have some CAC Garagefests both sides of the border to help build these garages and have a "Little" socializing as well of course:upthumbs
Another nice find Herb! We're looking forward to the project pics when you get into it.
Doug
Doug, you need to move closer, I have way too many projects and can use any help!!!!

:rotfl Herb;LOL

Looks like a real nice car. You will have to drive it over this way this summer when we finalize plans for a CAC BBQ.

Tom

Looks like a real nice car. You will have to drive it over this way this summer when we finalize plans for a CAC BBQ.

Tom
I am up for a BBQ......when??????? Craig has good fixings for sure!!!!

more photos
IMG_1213Small-vi.jpg

inside the hinge area
IMG_1211Small-vi.jpg

back of seats
IMG_1176Small-vi.jpg

jack
IMG_1177Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1178Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1179Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1181Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1183Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1184Small-vi.jpg

typical for the wheels and covers
IMG_1185Small-vi.jpg

car up on lift
IMG_1220Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1222Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1224Small-vi.jpg

bottom of car is very clean
IMG_1225Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1226Small-vi.jpg

IMG_1231Small-vi.jpg

Is this an unrestored car or has it been restored before?

Is this an unrestored car or has it been restored before?
to the best of my knowledge this is unrestored, EXCEPT for the items listed below. this is a runnig account from Bert, the guy I bought it from of all his purchases and repairs to the car (best I can tell the white number of the lower portion of the firewall was always there, Bert wasn't trying to make it NCRS, but he we trying to make it as correct as he could as he went along):

His receipts that he spent on the car over the 12 years that he had it and did all the things below totaled over $24,000. Some of that was labor for a NCRS guy to rebuild some of the components like the trailing arms and to rewire the entire car.
Aug-95Purchase
Aug-95Fuses, Bulbs, Misc.
Sep-95Cover, Book, Clutch boot
Sep-95Bumper bolts, exhaust ext., ash tray
Sep-95Rear bumper straighten & chrome
Sep-95Trans tunnel insul., shop manual, air clnr cover
Sep-95Rebuild shifter (+ return freight)
Oct-95Clutch rod boot, front stabilizer link kit, console hdw
Oct-95WCFB carb, rear exhaust hangers
Nov-95Clean exhaust manifoldsNov-95
Rebuild alternatorNov-95
Exhaust shield setDec-95
Welded Exhaust system (aluminized)
Dec-95Carb gaskets, AIM, A/C screen/foam, vac adv hose/pipeJan-96PCV valve & fittings, carb stud, A/C wing nut
Jan-96Battery kit, expansion tank, rad. Cap, clamp kit
Jan-96Distr. Band, spark plug wire brkt/bolts
Feb-96Expansion tak strap/bolts
Mar-96Intake manifold bolt set
Mar-96Battery calbles, PCV grommet
Mar-96Engine rebuild, cntrl arm bshngs, lwr ball jnts, align
Mar-96Starter rebuild
Mar-96Transmission rebuild, yoke assy
Apr-96Carb service
Jun-96shifter repair, carb repair (base), tach cable, timing/dwell, instr. Clstr & clk, W/S wshr, 1/4 trim pnls, new spkr,
trip odo, frtn wire looms
Jul-96Spare tire
Aug-96Shocks (gas)
Sep-96Headlight motor rebuild, cig. LighterOct-96Radio repair, reverse lever arm, brakes (total), headlite switch
Jan-97Door pnls, kick pnls, wndw chnnls & felt, arm rests, cnsl pnls
Mar-97Door seals, upper
Apr-97Parking brake handle
Aug-97Trailing arms, spndls, cmbr rds, cln & pnt exhst, drv shfts & sprng
Sep-97Alignment
Jan-98Door/vent window parts
Feb-98A-arm dust shields & staples, alt belt, floor plugs. etc
Mar-98Carb work & rear toe-in shims
Oct-98Fresh air vent seals and hood release cableApr-99Strg whl puller, turn signal mech. & Dr. Pnl. reflex
Aug-99Steering column recondition
Nov-99Glove box door, misc parts
Nov-99Seat recondition/rebuild
May-00Intake manifold (Edelbrock), AFB carb, Hurst shifter
Jul-00Sales brochure, NCRS spec guide,
Jan-01Door C-clipJun-01WindshieldMar-02Steering box rebuilt
Jul-02Rocker panels, sill plates, carpet & adhesive
Nov-02Interior screw kit
Dec-02Floor mats
Jan-03Armrest support
Jun-03Tires & wheel powder coat
Aug-03Differential & install
Nov-04Hood latch recondition

Herb
you bought a RED car? I thought you hated red..... you always wanted green 'Vettes! ;LOL ;LOL

congrats on the new toy, she looks real nice.

hmmm, from my count this takes you up to SIX vettes in the garage now including that one '78 that ISN'T red?

I sounds like the previous wanted it to be a nice driver. You did well. :D

Herb
you bought a RED car? I thought you hated red..... you always wanted green 'Vettes! ;LOL ;LOL

congrats on the new toy, she looks real nice.

hmmm, from my count this takes you up to SIX vettes in the garage now including that one '78 that ISN'T red?
believe it or not, I sold the '78 for what I had in it. Sold it a few months ago, just couldn't get comfortable putting in it the kind of money that it would need when for the same money or less I could get one that had perhaps 1000 miles on it and in much better original condition.....so decided to sell it.

Used some of the money for the '60 (the money and time pit) and some of the money along with my 401k loan (I know I shouldn't borrow from there, but if I am dead before I can use the money all I am doing is saving it for my kids and they can get their OWN!) to purchase the '63SWC. I felt that the SWC was a better place to put money than the '78.

And besides, it wasn't RED!:upthumbs

I sounds like the previous wanted it to be a nice driver. You did well. :D
yea, I think that was the case as well.....I will ad a few things to it to continue the make it a nice driver.....one of the things I will have to decide is do I paint it Riverside RED, like stock, or do I paint it a color I really like, for instance TORCH RED like my other cars.

The '64 while not torch red is so close that I use Torch Red touch up paint on it when needed. The riverside red is a bit darker of a red in comparison. I have time to think that through, but Torch Red is a nice color. The new C6 RED is too dark for me as well....

ALL Corvettes are RED, any other color is just a mistake!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom