Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C3 4-speed transmission leak

My77Vette

I have77 with a 4-speed transmission. I took the car to a Corvette mechanic in Orlandoand paid them to take care of oil and transmission leaks. I returned the cartwice because it still leaked. I was later informed by the owner that all C3sleak and can’t be fixed. I was also told to “just keep the transmission fluidtopped off, which I am sure you know requires the car to be jacked up or on alift. The questions I gave are: is this true, all C3 manual transmissions leakand can’t be repaired? When I inquired about replacing the 4-speed with a5-speed I was told it would cost $8k and even a new transmission would stillleak. Is it really impossible to fix the leak? Thank you for any comments andsuggestions

NO! where is it leaking from???has he replaced any seals????
probably a worn shaft that won't seal.he should have put a sleeve on the shaft where it is leaking from.
I would find a new mechanic.
if your mechanically inclined,do it your self.

I had a feeling I would be told to get a new mechanic. The mechanic did tell me the leak was due to a worn shaft. I am not able to remove the transmission, so I need to find a mechanic/shop in the Orlando, Florida area to fix the leak. Do I simply tell the new mechanic to install a sleeve? Can most any transmission shop make this repair? Please let me know if anyone knows where I can take it for the repair. Thanks again!

check around the area at transmission shops to see if they have would be able to repair the leak for you.
good luck!!

It would be the input shaft more than likely. NAPA sells a repair sleeve for that. They also sell sleeves for the shifter shafts but usually new o-rings will fix them. The rear would be a sleeve for the driveshaft yoke if that's where it's leaking. There is no reason to accept a leaking 4 speed as just the way they are because it isn't. I have never had a leaking Muncie or B-W. I have put front, rear and shifter shaft seals in some for friends though when we replaced syncro blocker rings or gears.

I see there is an active Corvette club in Orlando. You might try contacting them to see who their members use. Also google transmission shops. There are a bunch that pop up. Check their reviews and call the ones with the highest ratings and talk to them about your leak.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom