Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 A/C Fan Motor Speed

captras

Corvette
1975 Red Convertible
About a year ago...maybe longer, there was a thread that discussed replacing the fan motor on a 75, or any C3 with a C4 fan motor. It gave instructions and a template to use to make a spacer for the replacement motor. Anybody have that info, or know where it is?

Thanks

dk1977

Corvette
1977 White Coupe
About a year ago...maybe longer, there was a thread that discussed replacing the fan motor on a 75, or any C3 with a C4 fan motor. It gave instructions and a template to use to make a spacer for the replacement motor. Anybody have that info, or know where it is?

Thanks

I found this on Eckler's. I replaced my '77 fan with this setup and got maybe 20% more air. You can actually feel it blowing from the center vent while seated.
Good luck.
DK
"NEW INFO
First I just replaced the original motor with a replacement and used the same impeller. I put everything back together, duct taped the joints, foam sealed everything and still only had a little air flow. I then bought a blower and impeller from Autozone for a 1995 Vette. ($45) The impeller is bigger, more blades, steeper angle and they are slightly twisted.

I had to fabricate a spacer for the new impeller to fit into the housing because is is about 1.5 inches longer. The motor mounts the same. I made two rings of pressboard, glued them together, sealed them and painted them black. I then sealed them to the housing and mounted the motor to them.

When I got everything back together, I tested the air flow and put vacuum to the source and holy cow I have real air flow. It actually blew the papers off the seats.

I still haven't hooked up the AC yet, but my first goal was to get air flow. Now I can concentrate on getting it cold.
I'll get some photos when I get a chance.
Thanks to everyone that helped with the vacuum lines. I'd also definitely recommend that AC book if you are struggling like I was to get the air moving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom