Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Auto -> Manual Swap

mattowen

Corvette
I realize this has probably been hashed through already and I'm cross-posting from the corvette forum - I was just looking for some more exposure to the question.

First... specifics on my car...

290HP GM Crate engine installed by previous owner
3 speed stock transmission
I believe the gears are 2.52, 1.52, and 1.0,
Differential 2.87 - at least that is what I read is stock

My goals are:

1) More fun to drive
2) Better mileage
3) Quieter at highway speeds
4) A little quicker off the line
5) Did I mention more fun to drive? :)

With that....

1) I've seen a ton of different transmissions mentioned... can you please post the specific transmission model you installed (or recommend), a link to where I might get it, and how much it cost (and if possible, the cost of the additional parts required)?

2) I looked at the ProMotion site and they are listing a GM T-5 for $949. That sounds like a good way for me to go... does anyone have any experience with them?

If not.... where is the best place to get a T-5 for my 81? I saw a couple on ebay and craigslist... other options?

3) What other transmission options do I have besides the T-5?

4) My current mileage is 11-12 mpg. What were you seeing before the swap and what can I expect after the swap?

5) I've read about the Keisler and Hurst, etc kits - does anyone have any experience with these? Is it really worth the premium or should I cobble the parts together myself?

Once again, I apologize for the repeat post - hopefully this will prove to be a beneficial summary for the novice vette owner who is looking to basically outsource the entire procedure to a qualified professional.

Please feel free to email me directly if you don't want to clutter up the forum and/or have additional info.

mattowenatwork@yahoo.com

Welcome to the corvette action center!:welcome

I'm not familiar with the swap but a very popular choice is the 700R4. People have reported getting a HUGE mpg gain from this swap. I'm not sure what the power difference is but I'm sure changing from auto to manual is like night/day. You can purchase a used 700R4 for fairly cheap and have it rebuilt with upgraded internals. if memory serves me right, I believe that particular trans. Was used in allot of GM vehicles. I'm not really sure from which car you want to get it from but somebody here will hopefully fill you in:beer take lots of pics because we all want to see the progress haha

FWIW: not your time or the expense. Trade the AT for a 4 speed car.

:thumb

Ya its a pretty involved project. Probably not something a novice wants to get into unless your confident about your fabricating skills.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom