Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Body Work

RLE80L48

Corvette
1980 Black L82
Like a lot of you I to would like to repaint my car. I have done a fare share of prep and repairs to metal but this glass is all new to me. I saw in I think Ecklers a video you can buy that explains these repairs and paint prep methods. Do any of you know if its worth getting? Are there any books or manuals to be bought that you can recommend? I want to do the job correctly and there are not many shops around here that I trust for advice on a vette. I WANT TO LEARN, TEACH ME.

Check out CorvetteFaq. I know there is an article there about stripping and painting the vettes

If you have any specific questions ,email me Id like to help ya.I dont claim to be a genius but Ive worked on Mainly all corvettes in the past 6 years.There is a good book out but I cant remember the name but I think its calledNuglas or something.Maybe some one else knows. ;shrug

C3 body work

Paintdaddy, on my 76 I have many scratches, from normal abuse, most have been "touched up" but are still obvious when you look at them close up. My question is at what point do you decide when to paint the whole car or can these scratches be repaired? They are below the actual surface of the paint creating a ditch which is easy to see. I also have some stress factures on the right front fender. I am not afraid to use elbow grease, if I can avoid an entire paint job. The rest of the car looks very good. Thanks for any advise. Duck

Check out the Richard Newton book, "Restoring and Modifying your Corvette 1968 - 1982"...it has a whole chapter on what you want to do. I'm sure it'll come in use for you.

Good luck!! :)

I hate to break it to ya but it does sound like ya need a paint job.The question to paint or not .The best way to determine that would be if you have a scratch,nick or crack on every or every other panel.If its every other panel,the question is how close is it to the next panel.If its with in 6 inches or so ,youll also have to paint that panel because of blending.For instance,if you had to replace your door,you most likely wouldnt be able to just paint the door.you would have to blend and clear the panels next to it.The part that sucks on corvettes is that there arent any breaking points meaning on the back end and the front end there isnt any where to tape it off.GM s reccommended repair is to paint the entire panel no matter what.That really is the best way but you can spot some colors in without telling they have been fixed.
The only other thing you can do is to fill the scratches up with paint using a good small brush and then buff it flat.If you do this you risk the chance of buffing through the paint on either side of the scratch.Someone help me I cant shut up. :TALK BTW this is paintdaddy,I cant log my wife out of her own computer.

C3 body work

Thanks a lot! You have made me understand, I took my time finding each spot and when you talk about blending I will have to paint the entire car. Before I get to that is there any way to repair the stress factures on the right front fender? They can be felt on the top of the fender, but you cannot put a fingernail under them. Thanks again, Guys .... Duck

The crack is easy to fix but impossible to keep it localized and small,so if your going to fix it keep in mind that youll have to paint the whole front clip.
First sand or grind all of the paint on and around the crack until your down to bare fiberglass.I would go as much as two inches on either side of the crack and beyond the end of the crack.Then drill a hole at the end of the crack,this prevents it from going any further.Then using a die grinder or a 90 degree grinder "V" the crack out or " dish" it out .Dont be afraid to go deep ,the fiberglass is thicker than you think.and this is a common area for the C3s to crack and Gm realized it early on so they are a little thicker in that area.Next grind or sand the area on the bottom side of the crack,not to cut a "v" in it just to clean it up and give the fiberglass matt and resin something to stick to.I would put 2 or 3 good layers of mat on the backside of the repair.
Back to the top side,fill the "V" in with some fiberglass reinforced body filler.Its commonly called tiger hair or kitty hair.They make a long hair and short hair.The short hair will do good for small cracks like this.After that sand or grind it smooth or until you see the edges of the "V" ,then fill with your choice of body filler and/ or finishing putty.Then prime ,block and paint.This may sound nuts but the best thing I have found to sand a corvette with is a radiator hose,because of all of the concave surfaces . :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom