Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 electric Cooling Fan

I mounted mine on the pass side down low and turned around backwards.

How about some pictures

fans

i tell you after putting an electric fan on my 79 i would never go back to the old way. i had an electric fan off a 2002 jeep grand cherokee(around16 inches wide) and put it on pulling the air in and mine has never even tried to overheat again.took alot of fabrication but thats what being a autobody man is all about. haha

fan direction

I have a project car at this point and I have dual fans ,my question is what is the best direction fo them , They were installed as pushers on the aft side of the rad, and were wired to twoswithes of on off I have rewired the to come on all the time with the car on, but I did leave them in the pusher direction

Thanks for the help
Layback lenny

fan direction

i put mine on the engine side of the radiator pulling the air towards the engine.haven't had a single problem. i also have mine wired to run whenever the key is on.

Fishman said:
I am not attempting to debate, I am trying to learn here. So consider this reply as my learning experience and correct me please if I am wrong. I have a clutch fan, I thought there would be no drag on the engine at high RPMs/speeds because the fan is free-wheeling at that point. This is what I have been told before... but other people do not always offer the best advise. ;help

Clutch fans are temperature-dependant, not RPM-dependant.

Len csalovszki said:
I have a project car at this point and I have dual fans ,my question is what is the best direction fo them , They were installed as pushers on the aft side of the rad, and were wired to twoswithes of on off I have rewired the to come on all the time with the car on, but I did leave them in the pusher direction

If they are actually set up as pushers (blowing forward through the radiator), then they are doing more harm than good. They should be set up to pull air through the radiator and exhaust it toward the engine. If they are blowing forward, then they are fighting the normal airflow of the cooling system, which brings air in under the nose, sends it aft through the radiator, and then into the engine compartment.

Actually, radiator fans operate more efficiently as pullers, so even if there was room in front of the radiator for a pusher fan, it would still be better to put the fan behind the radiator as a puller.

Joe

So, I am now considering installing a 'puller' electric fan (or two) on my '78... would definitely free up some space. However, my concern is that there is a dramatic downward angle on my stock radiator. The fans would then be directing the air to the bottom of the engine only. I imagine some sort of 'spacer' could be used on the bottom of the fan to change the angle back upward, but need some advise here.

the purpose of the cooling fan is to cool the coolant flowing through the radiator which in turn cools the engine, which is why it is called a water cooled system. Any air blown across the engine is insignifacant in the scheme of things.
The coolant flows through water passages in the block and heads extracting heat from the engine and then passes through the radiator where the heat is exchanged to the air passing through the radiator.
An air cooled engine like those found on most motorcycles and lawnmowers etc. has a thinner walled casting with cooling fins which does the same thing, transfers heat from the engine to the air passing through.
I hope this helps I have used electric fans on several vechicles and currently run a Flexilite black max on my Vette ($200 at Summit)
Craig sr

Thanks bossvette! I have my Summit catalog at home. Do you have a part number and, do I go with 1 or 2 fans? Thanking you in advance... Fishman

I haven't read anything about getting an higher amp alternator.

I have the 11" spal fan setup on my car and the stock 60A alternator could barely handle the fans above 2000rpms, below that the lights would dim pretty significantly. I bought a 120A alternator and lightened things up at idle and cruising rpm (pun intended).

Fishman said:
So, I am now considering installing a 'puller' electric fan (or two) on my '78... would definitely free up some space. However, my concern is that there is a dramatic downward angle on my stock radiator. The fans would then be directing the air to the bottom of the engine only. I imagine some sort of 'spacer' could be used on the bottom of the fan to change the angle back upward, but need some advise here.

You want the fans to fit flush against the radiator.

Fishman
just one will work fine
Summit part number flx 150
Vendor: Flex-a-lite Consolidated
Product Line: Flex-a-lite Black Magic Electric Fans
Material: Plastic
Finish: Black
Length: 18 in.
Width: 4 in.
Height: 16.125 in.
Diameter: 15 in. Fan
the thing I like about it is it can be wired to run off an outside trigger and/or the included thermostat and has everything needed with it.
if you go that route and have any problems (you should not) e-mail or pm me info is in my profile
Craigsr

I haven't read anything about getting an higher amp alternator

I agree one of the first things I do with any car I own is put in a 100 amp alternator to run the upgraded stereo, lights, and other things that follow.
Craig sr

You could do your radiator like I did mine. I didnt like the way the radiator set at the laid back angle so I remodeled the frontend and lowered the radiator and stood it straight up like the C4 radiator.

I could take some pics but I dont know how to post them here. I could e mail them directly to you if that would be easier.

Mike

M&W's72vette

To post photos you have to have them on the web, I use a photo-hosting service:
http://www.villagephotos.com/index.asp
there are many others, but this is very user friendly.
Next step is the IMG button on top of the text box
Backspace out the blued http and then copy the URL from the photo hosting site to the text line.
That will put your picture in your post.

you can also use the attachment on the bottom of the post page
click on the browse button and find your file
Craig sr

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom