Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Fuel Door Swap

H

Hijinx

Was at lunch today and happened by an Audi TT. If you have seen them, the fuel filler door is a brushed aluminum piece ring with allen hold downs around the outside with the flip up door in the middle. Very cool looking, race inspired. Well, I got to thinkin (which is normally where I screw things up) that it looked the right size to replace the Fuel door on my '73 and make a really slick looking addition. That was until I found that Audi wants $357 for the damn thing. So, now that I am hooked on that look, does anyone know of a place that makes a lower cost unit like this that would replace my stock door?

I'v seen something like the old Shelby Cobra type fitting on a Vette Brakes add, but that sticks up too much. I think the flat one would look much better. I think VW is putting something similar on their higher end models as well. That might work. I'll take a look.

Mitsubishi Eclipse Fuel Door

When parked by a Mitsubishi Eclipse (year? 2000?) I noticed it had a fuel door much like what you described on TT ... nowever, I think the screws were fakes ... as in screwheads may've been integral w/ the die cast bezel.
JACK:gap

I think it would be fun to make one. Here is how I would do it.

First go to a metal supply store or anywhere you can get your hands on a 3/8" thick plate of solid aluminum about 10" x 10" squre or so.

Take your fuel door off and remove the paint. See how it does or does not polish up. I think it will actually polish pretty nice, then take fine grade scotch bright pad or steel wool to polish a brushed pattern in the door. Wipe it clean and clear coat it. Then take that plate of aluminum and cut it in a ring to go around the stock fuel door with about 3/4" coverage all around.

Now, get a counter sunk drill bit and some nice stainless internal hex head bolts. Go around the new aluminum circular piece with the the counter sunk drill and make symetrically ballanced holes. Then, drill the rest of the way through (you would have to remove the gasket/rubber boot around the neck to reach in, but drill through the deck of the car and bolt the ring down.

Now--Ta Da, you have a brushed aluminum fuel door with a sweet looking internal hex headed bolting ring going around the outside of it. Also, take the same scotch bright/steel wool to the ring and clear coat it as well.

Chris, you have way too much time on your hands.:crazy I'm lucky to find time to bolt on a new intake, much less fabricate (from SCRATCH) a fuel door. I'v got to get your kinda job. HEY, your not retired are you. Man that would really burn me!:mad

A Vette, Money and Retirement. I figure one out of three aint too bad.

Hijinx said:
Chris, you have way too much time on your hands.:crazy I'm lucky to find time to bolt on a new intake, much less fabricate (from SCRATCH) a fuel door. I'v got to get your kinda job. HEY, your not retired are you. Man that would really burn me!:mad

A Vette, Money and Retirement. I figure one out of three aint too bad.

:L :L :L

Wow, I never looked at it that way. I always feel like I don't have enough time to do the stuff I really want to do.

Trust me, this crazy spending of $$$ and time will come to a stop very soon. Nikki wants to be a momma, so I am getting it over and done with while I can. The way I see it, I have a year or less to get the cars wrapped up and the house back in order (and the check book!)

You ought to see the state of disrepair I have let my house fall into since getting serious about the 69 project.

Hey like your slogan says........I would rather burn out than fade away. Working the hours I pull at the office, at home, and everywhere else, I am burning fast!

Been there and done that only mine was a big screen TV and a new computer. The first years are tough financially but eventually boys will be boys and we get back to our toys. :J

I can already see Chris' kid with the only tricked out Big Wheel in the nation. :L

You know, I have an extra 350 sitting around that with just the right brackets and bracing could fit a large from Big Wheel :_rock

Naw, Chris, been there and done that too. Tried to hook 400 small block to my kids wagon and the misses got pretty mad. So I opted to put bigger tires and wheels on it. She didnt like that much either. So, I bought a '70 Camaro and took it apart, just to sell it after I had done so. Then a '72 Cheyenne, then the '73 Vette. Next time, she will let me put the small block on the wagon!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom