Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C3 glove box question??????

Tntruckguy

Corvette
1980 L-48 Red Coupe
Hey guys, Its been awhile since I have been on! I just noticed after having my 80' for 2 years that the glove box is groved looking like it is made to hold 8 tracks/Cassette. Is this stock with my car? Does this mean the orig. radio was an 8 track? I am getting ready to put a stock looking radio back in it and this advice will help. Thanks in advance for the Answer!

Save the Wave-East Tennessee style

tntruckguy

The slots were for either 8tracks or cassettes(sideways)and only there if the Vette was originally equipted with either radio.
AM/FM or AM/FM/CB didn't get the slots, not even the mounting holes for them(actually 2 different glove boxes, holes for slots and no holes).

My '80 is the same. I have an AM/FM/Cassette unit. I noticed this when I bought the car. Knowing that the car was all original, thought it was weird that it was set up seemingly more for 8-tracks. Thanks for the explanation mkapp7879.

gottem in an '81 as well!!!!!

8 track glove box

Hey guys, any recomendation on a stock looking stereo that might enhance the original appearance. I guess the glove box slotting is for 8 tracks. Thanks for all the input :).

tntruckguy

check on e bay there is usually some on there

My 79 came with factory AM/FM cassette and I have a full glove box. No slots anywhere.

My 79 came with factory AM/FM cassette and I have a full glove box. No slots anywhere.
Are there any small holes in the top and bottom of the box that the dividers were snapped into.
I removed mine to make the box more usable. Never use the radio, much less carry around any tapes....
OR
Are you sure it's FACTORY cassette?
My black79 came from the factory with 8track, dealer swapped in the cassette.
Maybe yours came with just AM/FM.
Do you have the window or tank sticker?

I have the tank sticker. It shows AM/FM cassette, my glove box has holes where the dividers were located. Must have been removed by previous owner. Nice day here in central Iowa, think I'll take the 68 out and blow the cobs out........................later.:cool

Are there any small holes in the top and bottom of the box that the dividers were snapped into.
I removed mine to make the box more usable. Never use the radio, much less carry around any tapes....
OR
Are you sure it's FACTORY cassette?
My black79 came from the factory with 8track, dealer swapped in the cassette.
Maybe yours came with just AM/FM.
Do you have the window or tank sticker?

I have not to this day found any stickers, tank or window. After looking online I found a Corvette am fm radio with the mp3 player input front and back. I think I am headed in that direction. Maybe I add a few 8 tracks in the glove box "just for looks". Oh, and memories. I appreciate all the advice from all my fellow vette brothers. Thanks for your help!!!
tntruckguy!!!:cool

I have not to this day found any stickers, tank or window. After looking online I found a Corvette am fm radio with the mp3 player input front and back. I think I am headed in that direction. Maybe I add a few 8 tracks in the glove box "just for looks". Oh, and memories. I appreciate all the advice from all my fellow vette brothers. Thanks for your help!!!
tntruckguy!!!:cool

Try this link with your VIN...
Comprehensive GM VIN Decoder

Perhaps they have a list of your options.

:thumb

Try this link with your VIN...
Comprehensive GM VIN Decoder

Perhaps they have a list of your options.

:thumb

Thanks, I tried the link but they dont have my VIN logged yet. I case anyone has access to a website, My VIN is 1Z878AS424817. All I know about this car is that it was originally Frost Beige. I have not even got a carfax on it yet. Thanks for all the help.

TNTRUCKGUY

My 1980 also had the 8 track slots, and came with AmFm Cassette stereo. I took the slots out of the glove box. I also wanted to update my stereo, but wanted to leave the original look in the dash. I installed the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 in the glove box. New 4x6 speakers in the dash, and new 6x9's for the rear. The 6x9's would not fit in the factory holes, so I had to build a pair of speaker boxes. Also installed a amp in the compartment behind the passengers seat. It sounds really great and my dash still looks factory. What ever you do, good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom