Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Radio

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Can anyone tell if it is difficult or costly to replace the radio in a '71 ? The car I'm thinking of buying has a "dead" radio and I want it replaced before I buy. The car is on the West Coast (San Diego) and I'm in DE, so it's not feasible for me to replace it as I'm plannning on driving the car home (have to have SOME tunes for that drive).

Wondering what it should cost to have a replacement (AM/FM cassette or CD) installed as this is likely going to be a negotiating point.

Any comment are appreciated,

Thanks,

Bernie O

Price depends on what you want. Repair the existing unit; replace it with a stock unit; go aftermarket?

:)

Radio,would be the last thing to worry about.

Hi Bernie, radio would be the least of items i would check out
before driving across. im not being rude but i would buy a transistor
leave the original in the dash, and you can make a better decision
when you get it home. The 2 or 3 hundred dollars saved ,would be better spent checking cooling, ingnition, brakes, etc, hope it works out great for you, regards wayne.

FYI:

I have a new Sony xPlode system install in my car by the previous owner. I am looking a taking out the 10 CD changer and the new deck and replacing with an "original" radio... then I am going to use a iPod with an FM transmitor.... works great in my other vehicles.

keep that baby original and fix the one thats in there. like mentioned check the car out real good before the trip. good luck and dont forget the wave.

Depends on your needs, restoration, fun drive, etc. Simple task but don't buy the USA Autosound. I got one and nothing but trouble. First unit didn't light up, the replacement was painless under warranty, but the new now won't play on AUX- for the iPod, the search button is jammed in and requires the removal of the face plate each time it's used. Other than that the 250watts is at best acceptable with the tops off. I go with the Kenwood or Sony with new face plate from Eckler's or other! Oh ya USA boasts "like original equipment" not quite!

6880, Wayne, Piet, Phil and George,

Thanks for all the comments. I am definitely going to check all the really important things in the car first (cooling, brakes, etc......); I am likely going to have the guy I had look at 2 years ago look at it again and confirm that it's in condition to make the trip; it was back then and it only has another 1000 or so miles on it since then so I'm hoping that's no an issue.

As for the radio: I will want to keep the original, but will probably upgrade to a new system that's I-pod friendly in some way (I use the cassette transmitter in the '59 and it works great). My wife hasn't decided if she's going to make the trip with me or not (she's not sure if she can stand being with me in car for 5 - 6 days); but if she does I will HAVE to have some tunes.

Thanks,

Bernie O.

FYI:

I have a new Sony xPlode system install in my car by the previous owner. I am looking a taking out the 10 CD changer and the new deck and replacing with an "original" radio... then I am going to use a iPod with an FM transmitor.... works great in my other vehicles.

Piet,

The FM transmitor worked great in my newer cars but there was a lot of noise in the old Vette. While you have the radio out, I would put in one of these wired FM modulators (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W4hyFFPYlnc/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=234550&I=108DPFMT) that goes in the antenna wiring.

l108DPFMT-f_mt.jpeg

I bought mine at Circuit City for about the same price. It is a much better solution with the same reception that you get on the radio. The only problem I have with it is if I try to charge the IPOD while using this I get alternator whine. I just make sure that the IPOD has a full charge before a day of driving.

Bob

Piet,

The FM transmitor worked great in my newer cars but there was a lot of noise in the old Vette. While you have the radio out, I would put in one of these wired FM modulators (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W4hyFFPYlnc/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=234550&I=108DPFMT) that goes in the antenna wiring.

l108DPFMT-f_mt.jpeg

I bought mine at Circuit City for about the same price. It is a much better solution with the same reception that you get on the radio. The only problem I have with it is if I try to charge the IPOD while using this I get alternator whine. I just make sure that the IPOD has a full charge before a day of driving.

Bob

Bob, does this gizmo require the HK Drive and Play controller or can I just connect the iPod and use it to navigate/play over my factory radio?

Thanks.

No additional hardware is required. Once installed, you have two standard audio cables coming out from the box with a headphone to audio cable adapter. Plug this in to the IPOD, set the channel on the radio to the one you have selected on the box, flip a switch (this appears to cut off signal from the antenna) and you are off and running. The IPOD works just as if you had it hooked to a set of headphones.

Installation is easy. Plug the unit into the antenna line, find a switched power source (I don't think it required a ground. Probably grounded through the antenna), attach the two audio cables and find a way to run the wires for the input and switch from under the console to where they are accessible.

The hardest part is finding a place to mount the switch. Mine is still hanging loose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom