Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Shock Absorbers

Tsker79

Corvette
1979 L-82 5 spd, 2000 Torch Red FRC 6spd
Hi all,
I'm looking to replace the shocks on my '79. I do no racing, but do prefer a firmer ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good all-around shock?

I installed KYB gas shocks two years back... everyone comments on the great ride.

AC Delco Reaktecs

Pretty much the same here. I replaced the original shocks last Fall with AC Delco Reaktecs. Good firm ride for my driving style and needs. Of course any new set of shocks would be a great improvement over the standard shocks that were twenty five years old. The old ones were not leaking any fluid, but everytime I hit a good dip in the road I would bottom out in the seat of my pants!

They were on sale I believe at Corvette Central mail order for $99 for all four shocks plus shipping of course. They are also labeled "gas shocks".

Good luck,

KYB's are a great shock for the money. But in my case I did not care for them on my vette. The vette rode the best it ever had with them, but on my car they did not seem to have enough control. The rear end would bottom out on hard bumps. I don't believe my rear spring is worn out as I had rebuilt it and it still has good arch and maintains correct body height. The other issue was at high speeds, the car would seem to float around, unnerving. So after about 1,000 miles, I pulled them and went with adjustable Koni's. Rear end doesn't bottom out anymore, at triple digits, the car has a hunkered down-secure feeling and the ride is only a tad firmer than the KYB's. This was accomplished with the middle positions and not cranked full firm. But that is on my car and different cars react differently. Charles

I also installed AC Delco Reatecs. Purchased them from a local AC Delco dealer. Price was right, quality was great. I am very pleased with their ride and after painting them light grey they look just like the originals.

I just wanted to add my thoughts, about 3 months ago I replaced the rear shocks on my 1976 with "air" shocks. I put the fill valve in the batter compartment so its easy to get to and so far they work great, very firm and easy to adjust the ride. I only have to keep about 40 pounds in them. I know this is not stock or even common from what I have heard but the do seem to work great.

I have KYB's and they are OK for the type of driving that I do most of the time

I always heard the KYB's were great shocks? I guess not. What is a really good shock for cruising & handling then?

KYB GR2 Gas Shocks Are Great

KYB GR2 gas shocks @$30 each are great shocks.

AC Delco Reac-tech

Love the ride..:)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback on the shocks. It's good to also get some clarification about what you like or dislike about the particular brand that you chose. Thanks again.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom