Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Stick information

fleetline

Greetings! New to the forum, and not yet a C3 owner (looking at many). Would LOVE a C2, but I have a caviar appetite and a burger WALLET.

I'm aware that the stick cars were Muncie through '74, and then switched to BW ST10's.

So, since I don't have one to look at, can you tell me if the '75 up cars use 168 tooth flywheels or not? If yes, 621 type bell with iron nose starter?

Do the ST10 cars have a large TH400 type output yoke (like '71 - '74 Muncies) or are they they the small ones like a stock TH350?

I looked at a '76 yesterday in PA (I live in NJ) and it had a 621 bell and iron nose starter, attached to an L48 engine. May not be original.

Given the fewer stick cars available, has anyone gone through the effort of converting an auto trans C3 to stick? I've done this a few times on Chevelles, a Camaro, and some older Chev's but not a C3. Tough? Seems like the parts to do so, even used, are fairly expensive.

I'm OK with the extra cost, as auto trans cars seem to be cheaper (more of them).

Tom in NJ

C3 4 speed conversion

So sorry, obviously a very old topic.

I've found out that, at least for '75 up, the ST10's have a large T400 style yoke, a 621 BB bell is used (like on Chevelles), as well as an iron nose starter for 168 tooth (big) flywheel.

I am not jazzed by shifters that mount to the cross member, versus the tail (shades of early Chevelle Muncie shifter crap).

Looked at an '80 C3 tonight, nice car, but too original for me to diddle with.

Hope to find a C3 toy soon.

Tom

Welcome to CAC!!!
good luck with your search!!

My son as what you're looking for. My buddy sold him a near mint 75 L48 4 spd 336 coupe. All stock, good body & paint, mint interior. The 165hp didn't cut it, so he went to a mini blower and has 500hp. Then he blew up the 10 bolt diff so I built him a 12 bolt, 3.5 shafts,and 31 spline outer axles. Didn't break any of those parts and I didn't think he would but he blew up 3 of the BW ST-10 4 speeds. Now he going with a Liberty Gear prepped Tremic.

Good luck, just put too much power on those old drive trains they won't last unless you beef them up.

Getting my C3 soon!

Went to the Carlisle PA show/swap on Saturday, and bought a '78 C3 Anniversary car( :happyanim: ), silver/charcoal two-tone with oyster leather interior.

Can't wait to get it, license/insure, and drive my first Vette!

It's an L48 A/T :)duh ) but I want to drive it a bit and gather what I need to "stick" it.

Great to have this site!

Tom

C3 swing pedals?

In converting an A/T car to stick, can just the clutch/brake pedal armes be changed/added, or is the mounting frame for each different?:confused

Tom

...In converting an A/T car to stick, can just the clutch/brake pedal armes be changed/added, or is the mounting frame for each different?...

Different. AT frames do not have the clutch linkage bracketry. You will need to add it or use a hydraulic clutch. Floor pan hole for the AT shifter is larger than that for the 4 speed.

:thumb

Swing pedal frames

Thanks Mike!

Guess I'll be on the hunt for a swing pedal setup.

I have everything else, even the funky ujoint to marry the big yoke to the A/T driveshaft.

Tom :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom