Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 getting spanked at the light!

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

With all of the pocket rockets and high performance cars and trucks coming out l will have to give up the 0-60 runs or just get spanked at the light. There are too many rockets out there that l never heard of or came across.

Well at least l will look cool.

Today 300hp means nothing compared with what is out there. I will have to move up to the C5 just to get competitive.

Alan

kingman said:
Hi

With all of the pocket rockets and high performance cars and trucks coming out l will have to give up the 0-60 runs or just get spanked at the light. There are too many rockets out there that l never heard of or came across.
Today 300hp means nothing compared with what is out there. I will have to move up to the C5 just to get competitive.
Alan
That won't help. Better get some mods

A Z06 with MODS. AND driving lessons should get it done!!!!;LOL ;LOL

I was just out today and couldn't even get a second look from any of the quacky exhaust, backward hat wearing wannabes. In the words of my mechanic, "there's no replacement for displacement!!!"

kingman said:
Hi

Alan

Alan,

Like FX GS said, it's time for some mods! :D I'm going to seriously start doing mine later this year. I'm talking about a rebuild, possibly punched over, new heads, cam, stall convertor, exhaust, etc... :D

There will always be something stronger, faster,bigger,better....

Nick8Tone said:
There will always be something stronger, faster,bigger,better....

Yeah, but I thought one of the requirements with owning a Corvette was being the stronger, faster, bigger and better! :L

Just kidding Nick. :upthumbs and welcome to the Forum. :w

300hp is enough to get it done. While others are coming out with similar power, they tend to be heavier and/or not geared as aggressively. Maybe the autos have a tougher time, but I've not run across much that will outrun my C4. I have a friend with an older Mustang Cobra, stock 305hp. He's added K&N, exhaust and performance chip and now runs even with the 95 from a roll, but is still sluggish out of the hole due to lack of torque. And mine is stock down to the paper filter with 97k miles on the clock.

Enjoy it until it breaks, then MOD the hell out of it ;LOL

This is exactly why I built my 406 insetad of just repairing my stock 1985 350's spun bearing.

I wanted a car with HP equivelant to the fastest stock type car on the road which I considered to be the Viper. With 400 RWHP, not many cars are gonna "do me";)

Edmond said:
Yeah, but I thought one of the requirements with owning a Corvette was being the stronger, faster, bigger and better
Late 70's/Early 80's Vette owners gave that up years ago. We just have to be Cooler:cool.

300 HP seems sufficient to me. What exactly would I do with more? I think the C4 is well balanced car. Nice wide tires. Great center of gravity. Great lines and curves in a no rust shell. I don't think I would care if one of those go fast automobiles would beat me at a traffic light...IMO:upthumbs

Those rice bruners are all alike, your mov'in down the X-way listen to your sounds and putt....putt.... putt.... their on you tail flash'in their lights to pass you. They all got to hurry up before their socky runs out.Their not cool. All the air spoilers and putt putt mufflers in the world will never make them as cool as Owning a vette. I've got 245 hp but more than that I got a vette . Don't think your gona tread on me with your loud little 4 banger and your rap crap. Thanks for letting me vent....I needed that I just made the trip into work.....Bob Yates

Spanked!?

I agree with JRMaroon. I don't need a soup can muffler and a Cessna wing bolted to my trunk, thank you. That Detroit V8 sounds good right out of the box and the clean classic lines are 'All American'. I don't want to turn the heads of those 'Ricers' I still turn heads when she pulls out onto the street. Corvettes say more parked than any of those others say zippin around the streets.:cool

I wouldnt worry about it to much.

We all know the specs of the new rockets hitting the road, but thats all they are most of the time.

I leave the ASR on and punch it, lost count of how many cars I beat off the line that were faster than my car.

You need lots more practice and skill to run a low 13s in a Subaru, even if it also has 300HP.

Have to give credit where credit is due. I’m referring to the STi Subie and the Mitsu Evo. They have built a loyal following that has the people in their marketing departments patting themselves on the back. (Doesn’t General Motors own 5% of Subaru?)

There is a lot of bang for the buck in those cars, (although I don’t care for the aesthetics of the STi or Evo). From what I have read in the magazines, if a competent pilot is driving, you are in for a close one.

Keep in mind that your Corvette is EIGHT years old. If you think about it, it has taken EIGHT years for performance cars to evolve to 1996 Corvette levels in 2004. When your 96 was built, you could have bought it new for high 20’s to $30,000.00. That’s roughly what the high end pocket rockets are now going for.

Will these cars ever appreciate in value. I doubt it, will they be lovingly displayed on a showfield 30-40 years from now in a event like Bloomington or Carlisle? There is more to a powerful car than acceleration. I am proud of the Corvette’s heritage and what it represents.

If you are concerned about stop-light battles, look into some mods and visit your local strip if you haven’t already. You’ll be amazed at how much your times will improve by getting to know your car.

B17Crew
:w

I agree going back to the old days, mid 70's, I remember that some torque and big gears got you thru the 1/8 mile mark which is what 95% of any street racing entails,, I remember pulling people by a car length and they bascially would give up. This was in my 64 & 67 GTO with 4:10 gears,,,,

A vette is a vette is a vette. The ricers of today are these kids more affordable muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's that were being modified by the "kids" then. While we love our bigger displacement, they like the tin can mufflers and other mods they do to their cars. Some of them will get them to compete with the vette or be faster. Vettes will still be cooler in fifteen years and IMO not too many people will be looking for a 2003 Subaru or Mitsubishi to restore. Vettes don't go out of style.

Just my .02

kingman said:

Alan

WHy would you want ot downgrade by going to a C5?????:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom