Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 headlight problems

dwm

Corvette
1988 Coupe
I have a 1988 coupe, the other night when I turned on the headlights they would not turn around they were on just shining straight down. I turned them off & on a few times finally they worked. What do I need to check ?

first of all, welcome to the action center.. :cool

secondly, have you tried turning the manual headlight knob located at each headlight under the hood?? as you turn, do the headlights move and then fall back down??

what it sounds like - the same thing happend on my dad's 89 back home - is that the bushings inside of the gear assembly have fallen apart.. if you take them apart, there is a good chance you will find they have turned into powdered sugar...

i purchased replacements from mid america... the reinstallation of these pieces is not hard at all... my brother and i took a few hours and did it ourselves...

from what you said, it sounds like the same problem we experienced... hope this helps...

Geof

Could be the main light switch or the terminal relays located in the front for the wheel well near the horns. I have a troubleshooter for my 84 if you would like it...it should be the same.

I'll lay odds its your bushings. Go to Home Depot and ask for item number 595609. You will need six of these nylon spacers to repair both headlights. They cost me .69 cents (plus tax) for a pack of three at my local Home Depot store.

Much cheaper than the $7.99 price in MAD, Eckler's and some of the other specialty catalogs and they are the exact same Delrin spacers. Go figure.

If there's a TechTips portal on this Forum search under "headlight bushings." If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the instructions I used when I replaced mine a couple of months ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom