Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 on Jack Stands

ouch. My condolences.

Re: True story

69MyWay said:
How in the world something so simple turns into a nightmare like this is beyond me. All I wanted to do is drain and fill the trans.

Wait, it gets worse...

Chris, I thought I was the only one that asked that question. With me it's every time though; no matter how simple the job, it either turns into a long, involved process, or a seemingly endless nightmare.

I had the same thing happen as I was working alone on mine last year with the Vette in the air. In my case, I had already lowered the front to ground level and was in the process of lowering the rear when the floor jack started to roll away with the car! Evidently the chocks had slipped from their position at the front tires. I was hanging on to the handle of the jack with all I had in order to keep the car from ramming the back wall of my garage.

I double-check now.

_ken

I may be off topic a little here, but my Dad pulled the biggest goof yet. He was looking for a vibration in the front suspension of his front wheel drive 91 Caddi. He raised the front wheels up on the rolling floor jack, did not chock the wheels or put stands under the car then proceeded to get in the car, start the engine, and put it in gear. He was listening for something or looking for a source of his vibration etc.

Satisfied he had found the problem, he got out walk around the front of the car (facing a solid wall) and lowered the jack. Needless to say, he had forgotten to put the car in park and the wheels had spun up to maybe 30 or 40 mph. When he dropped the jack the car hit the ground rolling. It pushed him into the wall with the end of the jack handle. He had his hand between the jack handle and gut. It knocked the wind out of him. So, the car is pushing against the jack, pushing the handle into his gut, knocking the wind out of him.

My Mom walked past him a few times and since he did not have enough breath to ask for help, she just thought he was messing around with the car. He finally go enough strength to push the car back and get out of harms way.

He could not believe my Mom did not notice his purple face and paniced look in his eyes. He claims he was shouting her name at a whisper, and she just smiled like he was whispering sweet little nothings to her. :hb

:eek

Dear Lord, my stomach literally turned reading about what happened to your old man, Chris. Umpphhh, I don't feel so good now. :(

My stupid jacking moment came when I first wanted to replace a fuel filter on a fuel injected car. The filter ran along the framerail, so I needed room. I was young and dumb, so I decided that I would use the scissor-type jack that the car came with. I also had no stands at the time, so I decided to use this huge Directory book as a stand. Well, the jack starts to fail, slowly twisting on itself and the car lands on the book. My Dad comes out about this time and has that "what in the Hell did you just do?" look on his face. I try to explain myself, but he just shook his head and assessed the situation.

"Move dummy," he said.
"But the jack won't go down," I say sheepishly.

My Dad turns it a few times up and moves the book out. Somehow the jack actually worked down and once again, my old man saves my a**. Then he turns to me and says, "If you want to work on a car, get the right damn tools." Needless to say I felt like two cents, but I did buy my first real tool set the next day, with the proper floor jack and stands. Farting under the car or when doing car work, is another issue. :gap --Bullitt

Bullitt said:
...so I decided to use this huge Directory book as a stand.

:J "The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here!" :J

_ken :L

You know what's funny Ken? I still have that book. It's a city directory, but that's still no excuse for me. :(

At least I am not the only one.

We had a fellow get killed not far from where I live not so long ago. He had jacked up his low rider pick up truck and had it resting on concrete cinder (sp?) blocks. The blocks collapsed while up on them and killed him dead.

Two years ago I was swaping engines in the V8 Fiero when the hoist I was hanging the body from twisted and the car nearly took me out. That was a whole different experience!

69MyWay said:
At least I am not the only one.

We had a fellow get killed not far from where I live not so long ago. He had jacked up his low rider pick up truck and had it resting on concrete cinder (sp?) blocks. The blocks collapsed while up on them and killed him dead.

Two years ago I was swaping engines in the V8 Fiero when the hoist I was hanging the body from twisted and the car nearly took me out. That was a whole different experience!

Now that you mention that, my wife who is and R.N in a rehab hospital has a patient who is paralyized from the chest down, seems he was working on his custom truck again ,sitting on cider blocks when they turned to dust while he was underneath. tranny landed on his chest and crushed it, luckily there was someone home who witnessed it and got the car off him before he died. so now he going to this way forever. never did like crawling underneath a car even on jackstands

Never done mine BUT at work we have Pipe Stand which are similar to Jack stands.

We take 4 of them of position them on each corner of the vehicle we are working on but instead of the car sitting on the stand itself we take 2 4" pipes and postion them over the stand so the car is sitting on the pipes instead of the stand

we found this was MUCH more stable than stacked 6x6's or stands alone

Just an Idea

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom