Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Starting...or lack thereof

E

Edgar

Ok, odd problem to share here. I had to go to a wrecking yard to get a part for my daughter's ricer and had to take the 'vette (it was sunny and hot and the car was shiny and pretty). Driving down there was no problem, it had been working great all week actually. I get to the yard, am there no more than 20 minutes and get back in the car, turn the key, all the pretty lights come on and nothing...no crank, no click, no hum...nothing. Checked the gear (its an automatic) and made sure it was in Park, still nothing and when I tried Neutral even more of the same nothing. I opened the hood (have to do that, I'm male and even though couldn't tell what is going on it still looks good) and made sure the battery was connected and tight. Still nothing. I figured at that point that maybe its a connection or something and went to get a jump. I came back and tried it one more time prior to jumping and it started right up. Now, either the car was embarrassed at being at a ricer junk yard or something is wrong. Any ideas?

Sounds like the "VATS" (Vehicle anti theft system) system to me. Did you lock the car with the electric lock switch? Was the security light in the dash light? This is a very common problem in early C4's. If it happens again I would try cycling both door locks with the KEY and try again.
Good luck :beer

Classic vats symptoms. In case of emergency, you can jump battery voltage directly to the small terminal of the starter solenoid with a peice of wire. Just leave the key in the "On" position inside the car, and the car will start and get you home.

http://www.vatssucks.com/

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom