Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Steering problems

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
I guess my rack and pinion is going bad on my 90 C4. On hard turns the steering moans. There are no leaks or damage to the rack and pinion and the car only has 41000 miles on it so it surprises me that this is happening. I took it to pep boys to have it inspected thinking it was just needing a power steering flush and refill, but they said its a bad rack and pinion. I don't want to get ripped off so how can I tell if it is a bad rack and pinion or a worn out power steering pump? If it is a bad rack and pinion, who should I go through to order the replacement? Is there a better performing rack and pinion than stock, or should I replace with stock equipment?

I am not really big on snake oil stuff but before you replace it pick up a bottle of Lucas power steering additive. I had the growling and morning sickness. I put in a bottle of the Lucas and almost instantly it cleared up. That was 9 yrs and 40k miles ago. Still going good. Don't forget to remove enough fluid to make room for it before you put it in. Almost unbelievable what it does.

GWinter is right,I've been using it for many,many years in the Corvette and Classic Car business!
I've used it for stiff power steering issues and preventive maintenance on every car I've sold and personal in the last 15 years.:thumb
Only had it fail me once in hundreds.:thumb:thumb

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom