Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Window ribbon replacment- just say no

1cooldaddyo

Corvette
1985 Silver/Gray two-tone
Since I bought it, my passenger window has not gone down smoothly. Classic broken window ribbon- hit the down button and it would go down a couple inches, stop, then fall or need to be pushed the rest of the way.
I don't have $150+ for the upgrade, and the ribbon style is fast enough for my purposes, so I spent $20 on a replacement ribbon from Zip Corvette.
The regulator assembly came out easy enough. Hooked the motor to an old battery and ran the old ribbon off.
Next was trimming the new ribbon- no saw needed. I was going to try cutting it with some side cutters, but while bending it to mark the spot it snapped. That should have been a clue.
I started it on the track, then powered up the motor to pull it the rest of the way. Almost immediately I heard a loud SNAP!
THe top of the ribbon had gotten caught on the regulator mounting and the motor had ripped it in two. Strangely in almost exactly the same spot as the old one was broken.
I just put it all back together and will live with it until I can afford the upgrade.
Moral of the story is that these ribbons don't break because of age. The motor is simply too strong and the slightest hangup will cause it to be ripped apart.

Sorry to hear of your problems. That's one problem I haven't had and hope I never do.

I spent $20 on a replacement ribbon from Zip Corvette.

Next was trimming the new ribbon- no saw needed. I was going to try cutting it with some side cutters, but while bending it to mark the spot it snapped. That should have been a clue. I started it on the track, then powered up the motor to pull it the rest of the way. Almost immediately I heard a loud SNAP! The motor is simply too strong.

Any clue on where the new part was made? I can't imagine a new genuine GM part doing that. The ribbons in my '84 lasted for decades! Those things are tough! I just got tired of the weak motors, and upgraded to the later style. Huge improvement!

:w

Next was trimming the new ribbon- no saw needed. I was going to try cutting it with some side cutters, but while bending it to mark the spot it snapped. That should have been a clue.

Some Advance Auto Parts and AutoZones stock the Dorman 74413 ribbon cable in the HELP isle around $15.00
That type of ribbon cable was also used in some Chrysler cars.
Note: Some Dorman products are of questionable quality. If you had purchased it locally you could have taken it back and exchanged it for another one.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody had one locally which was the reason I got one from Zip.
It was probably a Dorman. THe package it came in said something about Chrysler.
The thing that surprised me was how powerful that motor is.
This ribbon was made out of very thick, heavy plastic. It wasn't terribly flexible, so I get that it broke when I bent it sharply. But it broke so quickly and easily when it snagged. The motor didn't even slow down. It was just running and I heard a kind of pop and looked up to see the ribbon in two pieces.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom