Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C4 / ZR-1 Owners?

Donne Trav

Corvette
1994 Blk/Blk
Do you or anyone that you know of, have problems finding parts or
getting maintenance or work done on your C4/ZR1? Given the choice
TODAY, would you buy your C4/ZR1 or a plain C6 (2005 to 2007)?
For the past several months, I've noticed quite a few for sale on-line.
From the yrs. 1991 thru 1995. A few with very low mileage, in great
shape, etc. And I've often wondered why people are trying to get
rid of a car I would love to own. Bottom-line, would you buy a C4/ZR1 TODAY? Thanks
thumbsup.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Good questions. I've wondered about the parts thing myself.

There are many C4 ZR-1 parts, most of which were specific to the 2G ZR-1 which are not available from GM and are not available as reproduction pieces.

If you're considering a used C4 Z, be a careful buyer. Avoid cars with potential engine problems unless you are experienced with the LT5 or you know you are near one of the few service facilities left which can work on the LT5 engine.

No doubt there are some great bargains out there in C4 ZR-1s but also know the only thing that doesn't stop is the march of technology. A C6 Z51 manual will exceed a stock or near-stock C4 ZR-1's performance in all but open-hood visual appeal.

That said, if you are a Corvette history or mystique buff and you're into late-80s/early-90s technology, then the second-gen ZR-1 is the car for you because it represented the zenith of American performance cars at that time. It's performance was not exceeded unti the 2002 Z06.

There are many C4 ZR-1 parts, most of which were specific to the 2G ZR-1 which are not available from GM and are not available as reproduction pieces.

If you're considering a used C4 Z, be a careful buyer. Avoid cars with potential engine problems unless you are experienced with the LT5 or you know you are near one of the few service facilities left which can work on the LT5 engine.

No doubt there are some great bargains out there in C4 ZR-1s but also know the only thing that doesn't stop is the march of technology. A C6 Z51 manual will exceed a stock or near-stock C4 ZR-1's performance in all but open-hood visual appeal.

That said, if you are a Corvette history or mystique buff and you're into late-80s/early-90s technology, then the second-gen ZR-1 is the car for you because it represented the zenith of American performance cars at that time. It's performance was not exceeded unti the 2002 Z06.

"Hip" Hal, My Man, you always come through with the right kind of information.
And what you said about the "open-hood visual appeal" is so right-on and exactly what
has made me fall in love with the ZR-1. Because I certainly would be using all that
power. I'm at the "cruising age" of my life. But I truly like the way that engine looks.
Thanks for that "Dead On" response.:thumb

Most of the differences between standard corvette and a 90-95 ZR1 are limited to Engine, Wheels, Rear Body Panels, The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp, Spring Rates?, it has J55 brakes but no different than a standard J55 Corvette, anything else. Mostly engine in my book. Other stuff is kind of minor. From what I have learned a properly cared for LT5 is basically bulletproof.

FYI, I'm a history buff, like the technology, and is anything have more mystique than a 1990 Corvette ZR1, really? Maybe a 1957 283 Fuelie with a 4 speed and 4.11 rear gears, with the heavy duty suspension and brake package, but other than that??? I mean the new one is simply bad azz but I don't think it got the hype and mystique build around it like the 90 had. Plus, I bet when you pop the hood at a car show, it draws a crowd. Those that know what you got, respect it. King of the Hill, for a reason.

If you appreciate the marque and want more than one Corvette, parts can be found and the network of guys is awesome. If you are not able to work on the car yourself, it may not be the car for you. They are pretty bullet proof but it will need minor maintenance from time to time.

Hib hit the nail on the head.

I love 'em!

One common question I get, if I've got my 95 at a show/shine and the folks are looking at the engine is "Wow. You've got a supercharger!"

I tell 'em no, it's not a blower. That's the intake manifold, 32 valves, 16 injectors, 4 cams and so on and so forth....
:chuckle

The young ricer crowd know and respect the KOTH. As for power, the LT-5 responds very nicely to a few small "tweaks" ;)

When anybody asks me questions about preference I point at my engine and say nice. I point to the other and say tupperware.

I will always pick the C4 ZR-1 KOTH

I like the C4 look and I fit into it well.

The C5 & C6 have the roll bar forward more and the corner radius hits my head.

I am 6'4" so that is why.

I would have to have a Vert to be happy in the newer models.

For the price and the performance a ZR-1 is a bargain these days IMO.

To me the rear quarter view of the KOTH says it all.

ZR-1-DAM-A-ZR-1813x545-2.jpg

Much of the car is a stock C-4 so those parts are non-ZR-1 specific. If you look around the ZR-1 parts are generally available.

I believe these cars are a part of automotive history and original ones will soon be very desireable, again.

In general, with the 2G ZR-1's the parts which are specific to that model are the engine (obviously), LT5-related electronics, the transmission, the windshield, bodywork aft of the B-pillar, the rear wheels, in some years, the exhaust and certain trim items.

I'm not sure I agree that ZR-1 specific parts are "generally available" but I suppose part of my hesitation to agree might be how one defines the term: "generally available". As I see it, the availability of ZR-1-specific parts is spotty. For example...try finding a windshield, some of the rear body pieces, an LT5 crankshaft or an oil pan.

Another problem, and one which affects the owners of all C4s, not just ZR-1s, is the availability of replacement parts for various pieces of the car's electronics. For example, try and find a new lat sensor for the 90-up ABS or try and find a new CCM for the late C4s. Not gonna happen because GM no longer services those parts, the reman industry doesn't service them and the reproduction industry doesn't have the capital investment available to make the parts. Also, in the case of parts like the ABS lat sensors, no aftermarket reproducer is going to take on the liability of making brake parts.

Unfortunately, the lack of parts like lat sensors render the ABS inoperative and if the car doesn't have a CCM it may not even run.

This is not to say that C4s are no desirable as collector cars but it is to say that as C4s continue to age, those in the hobby who enjoy owning them will have more significant challenges to meet than have those who own C1 through C3.

As for ZR-1s becoming more desirable collector cars from a financial perspective?

If our time horizon is ten years, I'd say the national economy in the long term needs to improve and have less uncertainty before ZR-1s are going to appreciate much. In general, the 90s and 91s, because they were built in much larger quantities than the 92-95s will be the last to become "valuable". Now, there will be a few exceptions to this, ie: cars with unusual histories, cars owned by celebrities, cars with rare RPOs and etc.

The 92-95 cars are likely to appreciate more rapidly but, I think it's going to be many years before prices really take off.

In general, with the 2G ZR-1's the parts which are specific to that model are the engine (obviously), LT5-related electronics, the transmission, the windshield, bodywork aft of the B-pillar, the rear wheels, in some years, the exhaust and certain trim items.

I'm not sure I agree that ZR-1 specific parts are "generally available" but I suppose part of my hesitation to agree might be how one defines the term: "generally available". As I see it, the availability of ZR-1-specific parts is spotty. For example...try finding a windshield, some of the rear body pieces, an LT5 crankshaft or an oil pan.

Another problem, and one which affects the owners of all C4s, not just ZR-1s, is the availability of replacement parts for various pieces of the car's electronics. For example, try and find a new lat sensor for the 90-up ABS or try and find a new CCM for the late C4s. Not gonna happen because GM no longer services those parts, the reman industry doesn't service them and the reproduction industry doesn't have the capital investment available to make the parts. Also, in the case of parts like the ABS lat sensors, no aftermarket reproducer is going to take on the liability of making brake parts.

Unfortunately, the lack of parts like lat sensors render the ABS inoperative and if the car doesn't have a CCM it may not even run.

This is not to say that C4s are no desirable as collector cars but it is to say that as C4s continue to age, those in the hobby who enjoy owning them will have more significant challenges to meet than have those who own C1 through C3.

As for ZR-1s becoming more desirable collector cars from a financial perspective?

If our time horizon is ten years, I'd say the national economy in the long term needs to improve and have less uncertainty before ZR-1s are going to appreciate much. In general, the 90s and 91s, because they were built in much larger quantities than the 92-95s will be the last to become "valuable". Now, there will be a few exceptions to this, ie: cars with unusual histories, cars owned by celebrities, cars with rare RPOs and etc.

The 92-95 cars are likely to appreciate more rapidly but, I think it's going to be many years before prices really take off.

You are entitled to your opinion although I respectfully disagree with you.

I have a source for all the parts you listed above, albeit they can be pricey. Then there is also the issue of interchangeability of parts. Let's take the windshield, a standard C-4 window fits a ZR-1 the difference would be it is not solar tinted or correct from an NCRS perspective. If you want a solar window with the proper cut-out I know where there are at least 2. I believe you are refering to the lateral accelerometer in your post. Those I believe are not ZR-1 specific and there is a company that repairs CCMs and ECMs.

Recently there have been a number of ZR-1 crate motors on E-bay and parts can be found in many other places. Simply do a search on e-bay. If someone is serious about a C-4 ZR-1, I suggest they check out a number of the other forums like the ZR1netregistry, Corvetteforum, Jerry's Gaskets, Marc Haibreck, Kurt White, ZFdoc, etc..

I own a 1968 convertible (C-3) and I would sooner drive my ZR1 from the comfort perspective alone. I think most people have seen the trend that although C-1 to C-3 are desireable to largely the 60+ year old crowd, mainly as trailer queens, as those owners continue to age the younger corvette buyers will opt for a better riding, more powerful and fuel stingy car like a C-4 ZR-1. I venture a guess that you have seen the top of the C-1 to C-2 market already. I could waste far too much time writing on this point alone.

Years ago I was in the market for my next Corvette.It came down to a new C6 or a ZR-1,the Z one and Ive never regretted my choice.The motors in these cars are pretty much bullet proof,sure you can break one but you have to get pretty stupid to break one.In all the years Ive had my car Ive only heard of maybe 2 cars that had damaged motors,one was a broken cam chain and cant remember what the other one was.Just how many motor problems Ive heard in C5-C6s,too many to even list them all here.Parts are getting hard to find but its the owners that are having the parts made that are no longer available.Its the misconception of-if the motor breaks nobody can fix it-that is hurting the value of these cars.If major work is needed there are a handful of tuners that can work on them.Anybody that might have a ZR-1 specific question all they need to do is stop by the ZR-1.NET forum and their question will be answered.

I agree 100% with Z51 Jeff.

I have an '85 and just purchased a 90 ZR1 last week with about 20k miles. Once I got the bad ethanol fuel out of the secondary system, it seems to run perfectly. So far I have only found one very small dink in the paint. I love the C4 style and the bells and whistles of the ZR1 over the 85 are great (Cruise, PW, PL, etc.). Not to mention the feeling when you nail the pedal at 60 and it jumps to 100! I bought the 85 with 30k on it and now have about 50K miles. I own em' to drive em'. Just like any hobby, it costs to have fun. Well worth it. Just joined a local club and looking forward to learning more.

I have an '85 and just purchased a 90 ZR1 last week with about 20k miles. Once I got the bad ethanol fuel out of the secondary system, it seems to run perfectly. So far I have only found one very small dink in the paint. I love the C4 style and the bells and whistles of the ZR1 over the 85 are great (Cruise, PW, PL, etc.). Not to mention the feeling when you nail the pedal at 60 and it jumps to 100! I bought the 85 with 30k on it and now have about 50K miles. I own em' to drive em'. Just like any hobby, it costs to have fun. Well worth it. Just joined a local club and looking forward to learning more.

I have had (way too) many cars over the past years, including of note (and in some sequence) 1984 (x2) C4, 1985 C4, 2005 C6 Z51, 2007 Z06, 2004 Comm Edition C5, 1991 highly modded red ZR-1 that foolishly traded on...a 2008 Z06, 2008 (x2) Dodge Vipers. I just recently sold the latest Viper and, guess what!? Am back in a 91 Polo Green ZR-1. Am more satisfied with this car, than any of the others OVERALL. There is just something about the clamshell hood C4, and the balance of the car coming out of turns, and, with the ZR-1, the SOUND of the 4 cammer. The smoothest attached-to-the-motor-via-the-bellhousing-as-it-should-be ZF 6 spd. The Lear seats. The smells from that era. The strange gray/orange buttons. The high door sills. 17" wide as Texas wheels. Weird in some ways, maybe, but manly in the truest sense of the word: it is simply MARVELOUS. :upthumbs:guitar:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom