Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C5 - 2003 Loose Headlight

jamescp1

Corvette
2003 Spiral Gray Convertible
---Quote (Originally by racerone27)---
i have a 90 vette with a headlight problem. when the lights are in the up position, the right headlight sags a bit and wiggles up and down. does any one have any ideas as to the problem? thanks, steve
---End Quote---

The above quote was moved from a C5 forum to a C4 forum, as it should have been. But, I have the same problem with one of my C5 headlights, so I thought I would start a separate C5 thread. Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem? :hb

---Quote (Originally by racerone27)---
i have a 90 vette with a headlight problem. when the lights are in the up position, the right headlight sags a bit and wiggles up and down. does any one have any ideas as to the problem? thanks, steve
---End Quote---

The above quote was moved from a C5 forum to a C4 forum, as it should have been. But, I have the same problem with one of my C5 headlights, so I thought I would start a separate C5 thread. Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem? :hb

These guys should be able to help you out.
And to prevent confusion, I'm going to modify the thread titles by adding "C4" and "C5" to them.

Good luck for a quick fix.
:wJane Ann

These guys should be able to help you out.
And to prevent confusion, I'm going to modify the thread titles by adding "C4" and "C5" to them.

Good luck for a quick fix.
:wJane Ann

Thanks for keeping things straight, Jane Ann

You ever get your answer for this?

Email me if you still need help (I may not check in here every day, but Ill answer if I know something is here).

You ever get your answer for this?

Email me if you still need help (I may not check in here every day, but Ill answer if I know something is here).

Hi Jistari...No, maybe it's too vague of an issue. The only thing I have come up with so far is that the pivot point is loose/worn on the linkage between the motor and headlight assembly that actually pushes the assembly up. I've looked around for replacement linkage but haven't yet come across it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go to the dealer...something I don't normally do, I enjoy doing my own repairs/maintenance...even though it sometimes turns into a major project, as I am still learning the ins and outs of dealing with a Vette ;shrug

Thats odd. Have you had it apart?

Reason I ask is that its pretty unlikely to be one of the pivot points unless you have had it apart (they dont really wear much and if they were working and werent touched, theyd still be working).

The housing pivots on two bolts in the top rear (dont recall if you can see them with the light covers on) and the third point is at the end of the arm that raises the light. That end can be problematic, the end of the arm fits into a slot in the housing and a large pin slips through the housing and the end of the arm. That pin is held in place by a friction ring (looks like a lock washer, forced over the end of the pin to keep it from backing out). If that friction ring comes off, the large pin will work its way out of the slot and the arm will likely still raise the light and stay in the slot, it will even close just from gravity and the weight of the light, but without the large pin you would be able to grab the light in the raised position and move it up and down a few inches.

Ive had mine apart a bunch of times (working on prototype HID projectors)and I had one of the pins back out and go missing (probably due to the friction ring, I flattened it a bit and put it back on but once they are off they dont hold well when you put them back on). Ive since replaced both sides with conventional bolts and locking nutz.

What it may be is the gears in the motors. They are plastic and its a common problem that over time they strip. You may be getting movement due to that. You can either replace the motors, which will cost a bit or replace the gears which will require you to remove the motors and open their cases. Several vendors have the gear fix kit.

Either way, you wont know until you get in there and see.

If you have common tools (just going from memory here but a phillips head, a T10 Torx driver and an 8mm and 10mm open end wrenches....at a minimum), some time and a phone in the garage I could talk you through it via phone if ya wanted to take a look.

Its not hard to do and you can put everything back and yes.....the panels will line up fine....we dont need to change that adjustment to take the lights apart.

My cell is on your PM.

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom