Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 2003 vette fuel odor

atlonnett

Corvette
2003 anniversary red conv
My 2003 Vette with 48k miles gives off a strong odor of fuel near the rear of the vehicle, but only when there is >1/2 tank of fuel. Since There is no odor with <1/2 Tank of fuel, then I’m pretty sure the problem is with the right tank. I have checked and found no visible fuel leakage from either tank. I would guess it’s a leakage of vapor, but I am NOT getting any vapor CEL codes from the ECM. I am puzzled where to look next. Has anybody else experienced this?

My 2003 Vette with 48k miles gives off a strong odor of fuel near the rear of the vehicle, but only when there is >1/2 tank of fuel. Since There is no odor with <1/2 Tank of fuel, then I’m pretty sure the problem is with the right tank. I have checked and found no visible fuel leakage from either tank. I would guess it’s a leakage of vapor, but I am NOT getting any vapor CEL codes from the ECM. I am puzzled where to look next. Has anybody else experienced this?

I have not experienced your issue, but it could be that the charcoal canister has been saturated with fuel from over filling the tanks when filling up, always stop after the first click.

Thanks for the tip. I’m always careful to not overfill, but who knows about the previous owner, as the car has reeked of fuel since I purchased it used with 36 k miles. Again, the odor only occurs at any level above 1/2 tank. Do you have any idea where the canister is located, i don’t see it visible Near the fuel tanks.

Sine my last post, I had a smoke test done on the entire fuel vapor system and the technician stated that his 15 psig test showed no leaks. I then removed the metal shield that retains the passenger side tank and dropped the tank slightly so I could inspect for leakage. There were absolutely no visual stains on the tank side of the metal shield. I spent the next hour running a boroscope around the tank and the passenger side of the connector tube. All images on the boroscope showed an even coating of dust on the entire tank and absolutely no evidence of liquid leakage or disturbing of the dust. Gonna do the same procedure to the drivers tank next time I’m able to work on the car. Perhaps I’ll find a leak at drivers side of the crossover tube.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom