Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Alignment Specs, Reduce Trameling?

carrc2

Corvette
2003 Electron Blue w/ Mod Red Z06
When I purchased my 2003 Z06 new it would follow any and all grooves in the road. (GM calls this Trameling) It was bordering on usafe to drive because the car would literally change lanes in an instant at higher speeds on uneven highways and streets. The faster you drove the worse it was, or it was really bad under hard acceleration.

I had also read all the posts about really quick tire wear on the Z06's, so I had them realign the car to standard C5 specs which helped considerably, and I still have my original tires at 24,000 miles, but the car still continues to be a handful on uneven roads. I have never had this problem with my previous C4 Corvettes, BMW's, etc.

I think the car needs a lot more caster, but I'm not sure what a good spec would be. I saw that the new C6 has something like 8 degrees more caster to solve this common issue on C5's. They even touted this as a new enhancement to the front suspension in some of their original marketing materials to improve tracking.

Does anyone have any recomendations on alignment specs for a street driven Z06 that will decrease this problem to an acceptable level?

carrc2 said:
When I purchased my 2003 Z06 new it would follow any and all grooves in the road. (GM calls this Trameling) It was bordering on usafe to drive because the car would literally change lanes in an instant at higher speeds on uneven highways and streets. The faster you drove the worse it was, or it was really bad under hard acceleration.

I had also read all the posts about really quick tire wear on the Z06's, so I had them realign the car to standard C5 specs which helped considerably, and I still have my original tires at 24,000 miles, but the car still continues to be a handful on uneven roads. I have never had this problem with my previous C4 Corvettes, BMW's, etc.

I think the car needs a lot more caster, but I'm not sure what a good spec would be. I saw that the new C6 has something like 8 degrees more caster to solve this common issue on C5's. They even touted this as a new enhancement to the front suspension in some of their original marketing materials to improve tracking.

Does anyone have any recomendations on alignment specs for a street driven Z06 that will decrease this problem to an acceptable level?
to prevent "darting" on the race track we go to "toe out" instead of "toe in". it would be worth a try.

Call Mark at Motor Sport Image 916-784-2323 (West coast), he is great and most likely be able to tell you what to do.

but the car still continues to be a handful on uneven roads. I have never had this problem with my previous C4 Corvettes, BMW's, etc.
Had that problem on my C4, was downright dangerous when I first got the car. The problem was the camber on the rear wheels. If I remember, the camber was too negative (in at the top). Once the camber issue was corrected, the car tracked well and still does!!

Ron ... :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom