Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Battery

cruzer99

Corvette
99 Navy Blue Pearl Vert. NCRS Member
Hi all,
I am looking at moving from my 82 Collector to a 00 or 01 C5. I have heard many stories about the factory battery always leaking fluid on to the main CPU under the battery (real smart place to put it), and causing many intermittent electrical problems. I was told to switch to the jell cell Excide if I ever got a C5.
I apoligize if this has been discussed before. First question: Has the factory ever owned up to this problem? Second: Other than inspecting the batter bay, is there any way to check the CPU and/or wiring? :Steer :v

If your battery leaks on a C5 and its under the factory GM warranty they will replace the battery but with another Delco battery. Most of the batterys that I have seen leak was from the positive post cracking and then spilling acid fumes onto the PCM thats sits under the battery. The battery in My Y2K C5 leaked 2
months right after I purchased it new. How I found it was the battery jacket felt always wet, GM replaced it with another Delco battery and jacket and cleaned the compartment but since than I replaced it with a Optima Red top and so far in 3 years have had no electrical problems ....just my $.02

HI there,
First, the leaking terminal syndrome has been covered by GM for a while. This is why in 01, they went to an AGM, or absorbant glass mat technology.
If you want an earlier, you can look for white powdery residue in the battery tray, or on the frame rail below the battery tray.
Simply remove the battery, and you can see it for yourself.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom