Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C5, C6 Corvette Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS Defeat - 6-Speed : 1997-2013

hoosierdaddy

Corvette
2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
What can you tell me about this; C5, C6 Corvette Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS Defeat - 6-Speed : 1997-2013?C5, C6 Corvette Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS

Have you used this and where does it plug into, cost; it appears to be a simple fuse; is it worth messing with, this issue doesn't happen very often but when it does it's a little pain at the worse time seems like.

No hurry on my end, just curious more than anything ;shrug

Thanks,
-Bill​

Last edited:
What can you tell me about this; C5, C6 Corvette Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS Defeat - 6-Speed : 1997-2013?C5, C6 Corvette Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS

Have you used this and where does it plug into, cost; it appears to be a simple fuse; is it worth messing with, this issue doesn't happen very often but when it does it's a little pain at the worse time seems like.

Thanks,
-Bill​

On the C5, the CAGS Eliminator plugs into the connector that goes to the solenoid at the transmission. It's actually quite easy to install, and costs about $25. I think the C6 is the same, but I'm not positive as my C6 is an A6...

OR... you can have a tuner simply turn it off in the program and you'll never see the amber message agin either! :thumb

C5 and C6 CAGS eliminators are plugged between the wiring harness and the solenoid at the transmission as already stated. I have installed eliminators on my C5 and my C6s. With the eliminator installed, the solenoid is deactivated and the eliminator keeps the computer from thinking that the wire has been disconnected (if the wire is simply disconnected, you get service messages).

You'll still see the 1-4 light on the dash however.

I back my Corvettes up on ramps to install them and have enough room - a lift would be better. Allow the exhaust to cool before trying to install the eliminator unless you like burned forearms. :D

I did both, installed the eliminator and when the car was at the dyno shop, they turned the light off. :D

The light is really an aggravation around town.

Thanks,
-Bill​

It's well worth it, you can shift the transmission as you want to from 1st to 2nd gear and not be interfered with. I don't even notice the 1-4 light that comes on in the dash, but if it bothers you then programming the ECU will be the only way to eliminate it, or just drive around it.... Good luck with your choice. :)

I need to check and see if I have one on my 007 already. Sometimes it lets me shift 1-2 (even when I am babying it) and sometimes no matter it will lock me out. I don't think that I have ever seen to 1-4 light come on. I do have a new shifter to install one of these days.

It's well worth it, you can shift the transmission as you want to from 1st to 2nd gear and not be interfered with. I don't even notice the 1-4 light that comes on in the dash, but if it bothers you then programming the ECU will be the only way to eliminate it, or just drive around it.... Good luck with your choice. :)

Ditto. One of the cheapest and easiest mods to do. I hated it when the computer over road my decision on shifting.

Thanks for the quick response. . . . . .

Thanks you all for the quick response back I really do appreciate it. Not a big deal but seems like it was always at the worse time when this happened. The light 1 - 4 don't stay on that long it was the idea if I wanted 4th gear I would have selected it instead of 2nd, might be just a control thing :L

-Bill

Thanks you all for the quick response back I really do appreciate it. Not a big deal but seems like it was always at the worse time when this happened. The light 1 - 4 don't stay on that long it was the idea if I wanted 4th gear I would have selected it instead of 2nd, might be just a control thing :L

-Bill

I agree totally, plus with CAGS when you are forced into 4th gear (usually after taking a corner, from a stop for me) there are times that you want to accelerate fast and you can't because of the ridiculously tall gearing (4th gear) for the speed you are traveling, which can sometimes be dangerous.

I think it is one of the best devices you can add to a 6 speed manual trans. I had one on my 93 and 94 Z28's and one on my 99 Vette. When I traded the 99 for the 13 Grand Sport, I removed it from the 99 and installed it on the 13. Quick and easy and to me there is a little piece of mind knowing I can shift from 1st to 2nd when I want to and not have the car telling me I can't.

I've owned three manual trans Corvettes, now, with skip shift, a 95, an 04 and a 12.

I've never understood the complaints about the system.

If you drive a manual trans properly, you'll almost never have the system enable.

I totally agree and for no more than it cost and easy to install it's a no brainer. Does this just resemble a fuse and is it above the transmission or where exactly, thought I would try and find a picture of it on Google or something before I install it.

Thanks again for the responses on this you all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and GREAT NEW YEAR COMING UP :happyanim:

-Bill

I installed the CAGS on my C4 1994 convertible, my C5 2002 coupe and 2002 Z06, C6 2008 convertible and my 2014 7 speed C7 coupe. They work fine and were very easy to install. Recommend that you do it.

Barrett

Mine doesn't do it a lot but like someone else said seem to happen while going through a corner @ a light, going through an intersection and etc. and I've had to jerk it back in second in a hurry to get out of the way. What does that mean if you drive a manual transmission properly; part of the idea of having a stick transmission is to control the gears not have something else make the decision of what gear I need I've driven manual transmissions for years, since the early 60's anyway and this may not be a life changing thing but if it's available and cheap why not? I am just saying it appears to be an inexpensive thing to do an easy to install why deal with it at all! If memory serves me GM used this for a smoke and mirror MPG thing didn't they? I say it is a personal preference thing and to each their own :Steer

Thanks,

-Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom