Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 chrome wheel problem

Beobachter

Corvette
2006 Daytona Sunset Orange Roadster 1961 R/W
04 C5 that has plating coming off all four wheels. Blistering under plating. GM says sorry about your luck. Anyone have this same problem? Please advise.

04 C5 that has plating coming off all four wheels. Blistering under plating. GM says sorry about your luck. Anyone have this same problem? Please advise.
I'm surprised to hear that about an '04. My '98 has it a little in the tough to clean areas. I am the second owner and I don't think the original owner polished them or cleaned the brake dust off on a regular basis. Do you live near salt water???

Are you sure you have chrome wheels? I mean could the damage you see be that the coating placed on the polished aluminiun is wearing off and the aluminiun is being oxidixed?

Part of the problem with chrome plating aluminum wheels is that when the wheels are in the plating bath, it is difficult to maintain adequate current density and electrolyte circulation in areas that are furthest away from the plating anodes. The areas furthest away are the corners of the spokes where they join to the rim. These areas consequently recieve less metal plated to them, or experience a weaker plating.
Since the plating process is a multiple stage process of electroplating copper, nickle, and chrome with pickeling steps in between to clean the previous surface, any amount of contamination caused by inadequate plating or cleaning can cause the surfaces to delaminate over time. And any pinholes in the final crome plating can and will cause the layers to oxidize between layers.
The result is peeling, flaking and pitting in the wheel.

Unfortunately, the process is irreversable. Since the etchants that are used to remove the plating to re-do the process eat up aluminum at a much faster rate than chrome, nickel, or copper. Once it's done, it's done.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom