Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C5 Front end on ground

dsharp

Corvette
1980 Red Coupe
I am looking at a 1997, overall it seems to be about what one would
expect, except for the front end is on ground. There seems to be little or no clearance for tires. All of my experience is with C3s so I have no idea what causes this. Any ideas?

The C5 nose is much closer to the ground than the C3, but not "on" it.

Are the rims stock and front tire size 245X45X17? The front air dam will have only about 3" ground clearance where the C3 has close to 8".

The tires are stock and the owner says he has not done any modifications, it seems to be even across the front and the air dam is touching the ground.

Stock tire size will not let it, (air dam) touch the ground. It can't be lowered that much without alterations or a broken front spring. The C5 just left here so I can't measure the air dam height but unless it has an after market dam it will clear the ground by at least 2 3/4 inches. Standard height should allow you to put two fingers in the gap between the top of the tire and the top of wheel well opening.

If the front has been lowered that much it may well ride like a lawn tractor.

Thanks Dad, I was thinking about a broken spring but it seems to be level and I would have expected it to sag on one side. The owner noticed the change but claims he didn't make any modifications, he doesn't seem like he has an interest or for that matter the ability to do that kind of work. I am also new to run flats, if they are low on air do they sit down?

Only one spring in the front but I've never seen them break let alone in the middle.

:thumb What Jane Ann said, it's hard to tell they are flat.

C5s have quite a bit of adjustment to the suspension travel.
If it seems unlikely the owner adjusted it and it happened over time, its possible the front transverse leaf spring is is just sagged out and needs to be replaced. Its a few hundred bucks and not a bad do it your self job.

You can also see about adjusting the front bolts to raise the front up.

Only one spring in the front but I've never seen them break let alone in the middle.
I've seen broken ones but not in the middle

Sitting too low ?

I can't answer with any certainy but I think "no" because the stiffer sidewalls are a characteristic that makes them "runflats".

JMO
:wJane Ann

EDIT: I just noticed this thread is in the C6 forum so I'm moving it to the C5 General Discussion Forum:

C5 General Discussion

Well no matter what, I'd take Jane Ann's advice/comment and have the car looked at by a really good competent suspension shop who can tell you if there's a problem with lowering, broken or damaged parts. If the owner has a problem with that, move on to the next car ! Some has, but I''ve never seen a broken C4 or C5 spring, Other than a collision !

Thanks for all the advice, the transverse spring is broken, shattered right in the middle. No other marks and no evidence of any trauma. I have the '80 in the garage and can't move it so I managed to get this one on and off a rollback and to a suspension shop. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I would examine all front suspension very closely, these springs are strong. It would take a huge impact to break one in the middle. Be careful.

:)

Broken spring ?

I would examine all front suspension very closely, these springs are strong. It would take a huge impact to break one in the middle. Be careful.

:)

The only thing I can think of is someone took a floor jack and lifted the car on the fiberglas spring. Every spring I've ever seen or bought (I had a TRW Fiberglas spring in the back of my 79) But every spring comes with a big caution stating that you never use a jack on the spring. They are very sturdy springs, but if you scratch or nick it, the spring is gonna fail. Other than that they are great for a suspension. Hope the car works out for you. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom