Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Headers (performance/looks)

daffycats

Corvette
2002 coupe Black
I am getting ready to go in for a new tune as dealer flashed my computer. I am considering adding shory headers. I have ran some searches on c5 headers not getting alot of insight on shorty performance seeing a little bit on long tubes would rather keep my cats for emmisions. I do have corsa exhaust system would like to get rid of rusted factory maniflolds. The tune is gonna run me about 500 with that in mind, if I am gonna add headers now I think would be the time. I am running forced induction "1-psc-1" so I think I might pick up more HP than a base motor with headers. What are shorty headers adding to base motors,"HP" without cam/heads. I have read some info on headers and leaking due to holes. What should I being looking for in a header in terms of endurance/performance and a clean look. Every company makes the best,"they say." I dont drive car much and has never been on the track but maybe this spring/summer. Thanks for any info.

talk to LG Motorsports tech line before you purchase shortys. You already have factory shortys, and is not much to gain with after market short tube headers.

Thanks spoke to LG tech said if car was stock could pick up 15/20hp minimum with there long tube setup with there cats. With my supercharger he says I stand to pick up probaly near 50hp. That is a nice increase however I am not sure about the 1800.00 price tag."BIG TICKET" They are what I am looking for Stainless. Like the man said,"with the supercharger the car is running a marathon and breathing out through a straw!" Interesting, had a way with words. I need more research before I shoot the moon.

I would check with ECS in nearby NJ.

I beleive they are now an installer for American Brand Racing headers...

With cats x pipe etc...the cost is 1500 plus install.

The cool part of these headers is the ease of installation..

Should cut labor costs a bit..

I hear they go in real easy...

They are stainless and would probably be the choice I would go with if I buy headers again..

FLP's are not my favorite brand of mild steel headers...which I have now...

Lots of good long tubes available, and almost all of them come with hi-flow cats standard or as an option. All those mentioned above are good. Personally, I have LG Pros w/ cats and breezed through my last emission test. I gained 30 HP with headers and tune. Ultimately, I plan to SC also, which is why I chose the more expensive Pro model.

Header day

Thank for the ideas. I went with the LG motorsports headers street series headers. I was not looking for massive HP gains the supercharger has already given me plenty of juice and, the only difference was going to be 5/10HP over the pro-series from what there tech was telling me. Install was suposed to be easy but it was a bear. I ended up pulling the starter and both coil packs and the alternater losening the carraige underneath to get a bit more play from the motor. The problems now. They sent me 2 different sized cats and the wire harness they sent me for the rear O2 sensor did not match up. They were nice enough to overnite me another cat but it was also the wrong size so a new cat is being overnited tonight. The wire plugs for the rear sensors,"downstream of the cats" did not match up they are still checking into those connectors and also sent me a plug to move my rear sensor to the front? Spoke to my tuner and he is going to just take the rear sensor out of the program. Tells me rear is just backup for front, something along those lines. My tune is scheduled for 4-26 and I will be able to see how everything went. After removing the stock EX maniflolds I could see how they could be considered shorty headers they look like they have decent flow. LGmotorsports is making a good effort to get it right, still a bit disapointed have to go on a lift again that itself is like playing with building blocks to get the car high enough for arms to get under.

By the way free corvette exhaust system and exhaust maniflods here come and get them.

How far are you from NYC?

Congrats and believe me buying the best even with those small problems is the best way to go..

I have the flps and after all is said and done....in total hindsight...I should have bought a premium brand like LG.

Remember this...errors occur in any aspect of life. The difference between the best and the rest is that the best take a proactive approach to meeting the customers needs...

LG is top notch in my book for the way they are correcting what is just an unfortunate shipping error...

Good luck and enjoy.

JB

Dont get me wrong the quality is second to none. I understand you can have problems with anything, people make mistakes I am glad to see they are making every effort to make it right. Trust me I am not knocking them glad to see there overnite shipping efforts some company would not do that. Just felt like I spent a day on a car and it wasn`t complete and need to rent the lift again and go back under the car to install the cats and try and protect the open plug ends that are going to be deleted. I think almost everybody would be a little disapointed to drop 1400.00 on headers and the order be screwed up.

Thanks

I am on the border of PA and MD about 20miles from ceicil county dragway. About 1 hour from PHL airport.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom