Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Hood Seal

captras

Corvette
1975 Red Convertible
I see these advertised alot in different parts magazines and on ebay. Is there any validity in the need for them. Any that are junk, versus quality ones. None of them are very expensive, but are they worth the money, or just another scam?

There's no performance gain of course, but it does help keep you engine bay cleaner. And yes, there are differences in quality. I've bought 2 (both from eBay), one was a cheap thin piece of rubber insulation that started falling off almost immediate, the other was a thicker tube type that works wonderfully.

For the guys ruining open air filters like Black Wing etc. the seal keeps the water out during washing or a down pour. Otherwise it does nothing.

hood seals

I got one from Mid-America and it's a good quality tube like seal that does a good job when you wash the car. I got it mainly because the connector for the hood light is right behind the forward edge of the hood and to keep it from corrosion from water I put the seal in place.

C5 hood seal works

I bought my hood seal from Mid America. Never believed the 15 bhp gain advertised. ;LOL

However, I live out in the Hocking Hills in SE Ohio, have a 400' gravel drive and am on top of a hill. The hood seal really does help keep the engine compartment MUCH cleaner. And, I am planning on a Blackwing soon. Love that hood seal!

Now - for a REAL mod on a C5 vert, get the Trunkpopper! :upthumbs

I have one on my car, but personally, I don't think they do a damn bit of good. Unless of course you have CAI, then they may help some.

Night and day difference in how clean the engine stays. Works well.

I can't post a photo, but it's a simple black rubber tube 1/2x 1/2 and the front edge is adhesive so it attaches to the leading edge of your hood area onto the front facia(spelled wrong) and it's a clever little inexpensive fill in for the area just forward of your hood and sits inside so you can't really see it till you open the hood. it's about six inches longer than you need so you can cut it to the length you like. works very well!

Just look on the sides of a stock hood when closed. They have gaskets, thats what the hood seal does on the front edge.

hood seal

Just look on the sides of a stock hood when closed. They have gaskets, thats what the hood seal does on the front edge.

Good point, that's exactly what the front seal looks like.:w

Yes I think that they keep the engine bay cleaner. I made my own using a piece of weatherstriping I got at Home Depot.

:beer

Thank you very much!
That's exactly what I did years ago!
A buddy of mine showed up at the house with the weatherstripping.
He actually bought a strip and there was enough to do two cars.

Works great! More filling...in my wallet! :L

Pedro

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom