Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 - Kumho Tires

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Remo,There just out!!!!! I put Kumho Ecsta ASX's all season on my C5. I Love them!!! They have a tread ware rating of 420 instead of 220 though!!! I have 12,000 + on them and they are doing Great!!!!!(I'll get 40,000 + out of them!!) Great cornering,Great Wet traction,No hydro-plaining and they are Quiet I can hear my Stereo!!!! There will NOT be another set of Goodyear's on My Car!!:upthumbs

"The ECSTA MX XRP is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

You had me and then they lost me. I am rapidly approaching my first Sierra winter with the Vette and I will (also soon) need new back tires. Any suggestions from those of you in the colder climes on a good all-season (coughSNOWcough) tire? Also, can I mix & match the front & rear tires? I have the Goodyear Eagle runflats on the front (brand new, *$%^#!).

Kumho Ecsta ASX's all season!! I've had them to Mo.,Ill.,Ia.,Ky.,and Oh. Work great in the Snow!!:upthumbs

I went with the Avons all season which were about $5.00 more then the Kuhmos and were rated just slightly higher by tire rack I also agree they are great in the rain but haven't driven in the snow yet (put them on in May)
They are non runflats but then I have never had runflats on mine I've got in the neighborhood of 30,000+ miles without runflats (Pirellis first) since I bought it in late 2004 without any problems.

Remo you need runflats 'cause your car sits in hibernation too long ;LOL

Remo you need runflats 'cause your car sits in hibernation too long ;LOL

Craig,

You are so right. That's because the snow season up here is long and deep - averaging about 200+ inches per winter. Given those conditions I've always elected to put it away for the winter. The thing I find most interesting is the cost of the Kumho runflats are about half the price of the Goodyear EMT's. The customer reviews on the "Tire Rack" site are pretty good. Decent milage/wear, slightly better traction, softer ride and less noise.

Remo:cool

That's because the snow season up here is long and deep - averaging about 200+ inches per winter. Given those conditions I've always elected to put it away for the winter. Remo:cool

NOOOOOO! I don't wanna drive the truck all winter!!! The problem here is that, besides the COLD (it's a warm morning if it is 20 degrees or above - anytime from October to May), once it snows you can easily get a couple of feet in a few hours. In that situation I most definitely would be driving the 4x4 but it was the "not recommended for freezing or near-freezing temperatures" that stopped me. Hmmmm.

Signed,
But It's A Dry Cold ;)

Remo,There just out!!!!! I put Kumho Ecsta ASX's all season on my C5. I Love them!!! They have a tread ware rating of 420 instead of 220 though!!! I have 12,000 + on them and they are doing Great!!!!!(I'll get 40,000 + out of them!!) Great cornering,Great Wet traction,No hydro-plaining and they are Quiet I can hear my Stereo!!!! There will NOT be another set of Goodyear's on My Car!!:upthumbs

Quiet?, this is good to hear (pun intended). I have the original tires and man are they noisy. Thanks.

Getting ready for Carlisle. Painted the calipers and put a new set of Kumho ASX's on all around. The ASX's gave me around 40k and performed well even when I got caught in an unexpected snow storm. With the money saved from not buying the run flats, will take the wife out for a lobster dinner.:)

Getting ready for Carlisle. Painted the calipers and put a new set of Kumho ASX's on all around. The ASX's gave me around 40k and performed well even when I got caught in an unexpected snow storm. With the money saved from not buying the run flats, will take the wife out for a lobster dinner.:)
'Painted the calipers'???? I've been thinking about doing that too, tell me all about it, what paint did you use? Did you pull them off the car to do it? How long did it take? How does it look? What color did you use????
Thanks...
Doc

Anybody tried these runflats by Kumho - designed specifically for the C5 Vettes?
I checked the Tirerack site and the Kumho web site and could not find any details of the run flat specs. I know some run flats are not repairable after being run flat and must be replaced. Does anyone know how close the Kumho's come to the GM specs?

tom...

'Painted the calipers'???? I've been thinking about doing that too, tell me all about it, what paint did you use? Did you pull them off the car to do it? How long did it take? How does it look? What color did you use????
Thanks...
Doc
I used the Duplicolor paint in Black and a Dremel to remove the paint from the Corvette lettering. I did not have to take the calipers off, but used the blue painters tape to protect the rotors. It took about four hours from start to finish and after the paint dries, the calipers look fantastic. It actually made me feel proud because I didn't have confidence in my painting abilities. Just take your time. While the paint is drying, you could be cleaning the inside of the wheels that you hardly get a chance to get to.

I've heard that the Kumho's cannot be patched and must be replaced after a flat. Is this true??
Dave

I checked the Tirerack site and the Kumho web site and could not find any details of the run flat specs. I know some run flats are not repairable after being run flat and must be replaced. Does anyone know how close the Kumho's come to the GM specs?

tom...

Tom,

They actually are on the Tire Rack web site. Seach by selecting the OEM C5 tire sizes and then select "runflats only" and you'll get all the brands including the new Kumho runflats.

Tom,

They actually are on the Tire Rack web site. Seach by selecting the OEM C5 tire sizes and then select "runflats only" and you'll get all the brands including the new Kumho runflats.

I found that but it did not give any details of the run flat spec. Such as how far can you dirve it without air before it must be replace and what is the max distance you can go without air.

With some run flats, you get a nail in the tread and then drive ten miles, without air, to the tire dealer and the tire must be replaced. Believe that the GM spec for the C5 was the ability to go 50 miles and still be repaired and the ability to go 200 miles overall. A lot of run flats can only go 50 miles overall and must be replaced. Just don't like the idea of having to buy a new tire everytime I get a flat :(

tom...

made the mistake of putting kumho's on my c4 NEVER AGAIN i learned my lesson after 2 bad tires,countless road force balancing visits, no thanks i'm all set
good luck

TysVetinfrontofhouse.jpg

I used G2 Red Caliper paint and I was just given a set of Z06 calipers. I haven't put them on yet and I may just hold on to them. It took a little time to clean the calipers and paint, but worth the time and effort.

Sorry about tires, I'm running the Michelin Sport Pilot ZP and really like the way they handle. I'm going to pick up a set of 2006 Z06 wheels and I may look at the Kumho's as I'm running a set on my daughters Mazda and they handle well for the price. Picked them up off of tirerack.com and they are sharp looking and ride nice.

I have the regular MX tires on my 87 in 275/40-17 and I use them for summer driving and track days. They have great grip once they get warmed up and will let you know before you lose grip when pressed hard on the track. To me they are the poor man's version of the BFG KD tires and well worth buying.

I have Z06 wheels on my 02 coupe with Toyo Proxes T1-S tires (non-runflats) and the back ones are going to have to be replaced soon as the supercharger did something to them :L The T1-S is noisy and of course they are no longer in production (replaced by the T1-R). I would love to see these new Kuhmo's in 275/40-17 and 295/35-18 sizes for Z06 wheels.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom