Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Lowering Kit any issues?

D

Dr C5 Corvette

I am looking at a Lowering kit for my C5 from Ecklers, it Comes with Poly front bushings and Grade 8 Bolts 8" long for the rear is this this the best way to go? also are there any issues with handling that I need to be concerned about? There is way too much space between the wheels and the wells Thanks........ Dr C5 Corvette

I've seen that kit advertised but don't know much about it. If you do decide on lowering your car be sure to have it re-aligned.

If you're only going an inch or less, the kit isn't needed. There's enough adjustment in the OE bolts. Secondly, grade 8 bolts from a hardware supplier are a lot less $$. (about $2.50-3.00 each)

A big drop will result in a rougher ride and occasional bottoming out, because the shocks will always be partially compressed at the lower ride height. Bilstein Sports or (reputedly) the new Koni FSD shocks can help counteract this.

If you really want to slam it, replace the spings and shocks with a good set of coilovers. Then you can go as low as you want and still have full suspension travel.

If you're only going an inch or less, the kit isn't needed. There's enough adjustment in the OE bolts. Secondly, grade 8 bolts from a hardware supplier are a lot less $$. (about $2.50-3.00 each)

Hey Thats good news, can I do it myself or have it done with the oil change. Is there a pictorial or directions on how to lower with the stock bolts and how about the front ? I just want to lower it about an inch thanks for the tip.. Dr C5 Corvette

Hi and Thanks, I dont want to bottom out anymore than I do now so 1" would be good I am going with bilstien Z-51 sport shocks next month, thats when I plan on doing this. Will it still affect the ride? also it was suggested to go with the 04 Gm shock from the Z-06 do you have any knowledge of these shocks Thanks....... Dr C5 Corvette

Here is a good article on the procedure of lowering your Vette:
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbies/corvette/options/Lowering/C5_Lowering.htm
A word of advice before lowering your Vette. A new set of shocks (shorter) should be installed. Only the Z-51 suspension responds well to lowering, if you have magnetic sus. don't even consider lowering the car. Most people with that susp. have serious problems after it's done. Always realign the car after any mods.
On the other note the car looks bad a$$ when lowered. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Thanks for the Tip, It makes you think a little I like that. Great Post Dr C5 Corvette

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom