Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Oil Changing

I do it my for both of my cars. I had a oil change cost me $800 at Walmart. No it wasn't my Z it was my wifes car we used to own. They striped the drain plug on the aluminum pan. Over time the oil leaked without my wife noticing. We took it to the dealer to check out a noise from the engine. They found only one quart of oil in it. We decided it would be cheaper for us to just trade the car in than to sue those stupid bastards.

I can't let myself trust an under paid grunt to change the oil and use an impact to put the plug back in. If you do get your oil changed by someone esle, take the time and ask them what the proper torque is for your plug. I bet you they won't know. :eyerole

If I had a lift I could get my car up on I would do it myself. Except that I cannot get Mobil 1 easily here in Italy. So, I take it to the place I have my warranty work done so I can pay ~$12 a quart for his Mobil 1 and have the total bill be about $120.

I have found an acceptable synthetic substitute that will lower the price of the oil to about $7 a quart. But still no lift at the hobby shop that can raise my car.

Haven't done mine yet - only have 3K miles on it and will likely only have 4K miles on the 1 yr. anniversary of my ownership. I understand that I have to change the oil at least 1x a year to preserve the warranty. I am planning on doing it myself because the local dealer doesn't have a dedicated Vette mechanic and I don't want the lot boy changing my oil (or putting my car up on the lift). I have heard too many horror stories on the forum about screw ups. Here's how I plan to do it. 1. chock the rear tires and lift the front end by the cross brace. 2. insert pucks/place jack stands at jacking points 3. Repeat process for rear but lift the rear 1-2 inches higher than front. 4. drain the oil/remove filter/reinstall filter/fill with oil. 5. Start car/check for leaks. 6. Take Vette off of stands using the reverse procedure for getting car in the air.

There's nothing complicated about it. I am sure that many owners use a similar process to rotate tires/clean wheels.
:_rock

04cmnthru said:
There's nothing complicated about it. I am sure that many owners use a similar process to rotate tires/clean wheels.
:_rock
Let's hope not too many C5 owners try to rotate their tires.

Remo:cool

Is THAT why my C5 feels like a table with one leg shorter than the other's? :duh

:w
Guy

Hey - Even I had to laugh at my "rotate the tires" comment after you all pointed out my error!!!!! Was typing the post without thinking - and what I like about the forum is that a person pays the price for not thinking!! I think that I will go out and rotate! ;LOL :D ;LOL

SleepieAce and Rob have reminded me why I do NOT change the oil myself. Many thanks to both of you. Besides, I am scared the car will come crashing down upon my face and cause me to become a disfigured cyclops for the rest of my natural life.

04cmnthru said:
Hey - Even I had to laugh at my "rotate the tires" comment after you all pointed out my error!!!!! Was typing the post without thinking - and what I like about the forum is that a person pays the price for not thinking!! I think that I will go out and rotate! ;LOL :D ;LOL
It's a tough crowd here. ;LOL

Guy

My dealer charges $60 for an oil change. They have only 2 mechanics that touch vettes, so that makes me feel a little better taking it there. I decided that it was cheaper paying the $60 a year than buying the ramps, cranes, lumber, jacks, hockey equipment needed to service this thing myself. Plus I get free coffee and donuts! But seriously, I do envy you guys that know enough about these things to do your own repairs. I stopped working on cars when they started filling up the engine bay with electronics.

Easiest procedure yet......

Sit down at computer, do quick math as to how many miles are driven each month. look in owners manual to find recommended intervals, or determine when the DIC will indicate approx 45% oil life remaining.
Using word processor, make up oil change schedule for the next three years if new vehicle with 3 year 36,000 mile warrantee. If extended warrantee is on vehicle, extend out oil change schedule appropriately.

Next, after schedule is made, print out and fold into glove box size paper.
Go into garage, smear some used oil on hands, wipe off slightly with rag, now fondle oil change schedule with oily hands, opening, refolding etc. before placing back in glove box, check off first oil change at 500 miles.

Drive vehicle with no regard to checking oil, changing oil, or otherwise normal rountine maintenance procedures.

Every once in a while take oil change schedule out of glove box, fondle appropriately with dirty hands, check off oil change, note miles and return to the glove box.

Run car hard as you wish, don't worry about the oil. Hope that engine blows before the end of the warranty period. If not,then purchase extended warrenty before the original period runs out.

If engine causes problems, take to dealer, pitch fit, show oil change schedule to service writer. Shake head wondering how this could have happened with such a well documented maintenance schedule.

With the money saved from not having to purchase oil, filters, jackstands, jack, and other tools necessary for good routine maintenance, you now have enough money left over to purchase mods that will really enhance your ride.

You may also have another brand new engine replaced by the factory, and warranteed for another year! Which by the way will be filled with fresh oil and a new oil filter. Oh yes, don't forget to document that oil and filter change, done by Mr Goodwrench himself.

;) :L :L ;LOL

vettepilot

yellow_2002_germany said:
If I had a lift I could get my car up on I would do it myself. Except that I cannot get Mobil 1 easily here in Italy. So, I take it to the place I have my warranty work done so I can pay ~$12 a quart for his Mobil 1 and have the total bill be about $120.

I have found an acceptable synthetic substitute that will lower the price of the oil to about $7 a quart. But still no lift at the hobby shop that can raise my car.
somebody send this guy some
RhinoRamps_small.jpg

G WIZ said:
SleepieAce and Rob have reminded me why I do NOT change the oil myself. Many thanks to both of you. Besides, I am scared the car will come crashing down upon my face and cause me to become a disfigured cyclops for the rest of my natural life.
No worries there for me...I was never considered pretty anyway...;) :D

I don't change my own oil and for me the price is worth it! I'm not going out, buying supplies, jacking up the car, making a mess (I can get dirty in a dust free room) and taking the old oil to be re-cycled.

Oh, I forgot: the owner of the shop I go to and the guys who work there went to grade school with my wife and they own and understand Vettes:D.

I love hard work - I can watch it for hours ;LOL.

Guy

Guy said:
I don't change my own oil and for me the price is worth it! I'm not going out, buying supplies, jacking up the car, making a mess and taking the old oil to be re-cycled.Guy
But Guy - what about all those "Zen" moments you're mising? You know - to change the oil is to become one with the car. And don't forget the cocktail chat "I change my own oil so I know it's done right".

Remo:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom