Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 or C4?????

I know you've had some good feedback already, but here's just a little more. It sounds to me like you really would prefer a C5, and if that's the case, that's what you need to get. You'll be the one paying for it and driving it, so make sure you get what YOU want so that a year after you get it you're not driving down the road and everytime you see a C(X) that you have that feeling of "I wonder if I should have gotten one of those instead". I do think that if you're patient about it, when you find the right car for you, you'll know it. Best of luck in your search, and until you find the one you decide on, hope you have a blast running around checking out lots of different corvette's!

I know you've had some good feedback already, but here's just a little more. It sounds to me like you really would prefer a C5, and if that's the case, that's what you need to get. You'll be the one paying for it and driving it, so make sure you get what YOU want so that a year after you get it you're not driving down the road and everytime you see a C(X) that you have that feeling of "I wonder if I should have gotten one of those instead". I do think that if you're patient about it, when you find the right car for you, you'll know it. Best of luck in your search, and until you find the one you decide on, hope you have a blast running around checking out lots of different corvette's!

The C5 was a, "Tweener"!! They have yet to see the downslope in the depreciation curve...and that is a fact, They made a ton of them...except for 1997...1st year (6K +) ... (hmmm??...didnt get it right?)!! Go...fine, and late; C4, newer C6...or dont go at ALL. The C5, will be the forgotten model.

Bottom line is nobody can tell you what car to get everybody has reasons why they want the model they have. The best advice is to get out and drive those models (if you already haven't). Then decide from there. I can tell you the difference between my brothers car and my car and they are only one year apart 86, and mines an 87. Every car has its own feel. When you find the car that you feel fits you best, you know you have found the one.

I got a C5 'cause that's what I wanted and did not want to be rubbernecking at every C5 that drives buy while I was sitting in a C4. I love the C6 but I can't come close to affording it so that doesn't bother me as much.

If you want a C5 then get a C5. After driving one you will know what you want. Get out there and drive a couple.

Have Fun

The C5 was a, "Tweener"!! They have yet to see the downslope in the depreciation curve...and that is a fact, They made a ton of them...except for 1997...1st year (6K +) ... (hmmm??...didnt get it right?)!! Go...fine, and late; C4, newer C6...or dont go at ALL. The C5, will be the forgotten model.
While you're right about depreciation, I hardly think a C5 will be a forgotten model!

simbadb - you're already forgotten
Remo:cool

While you're right about depreciation, I hardly think a C5 will be a forgotten model!

Perhaps you are right. Not a "Forgotten Model" as no Vette's are forgotten but not one admired through the years. Again; (C5) was a short run and they made...Way Too Many of Them. They averaged over 2900 vehicles per year more than the C4, while making only; 9752 in 1997!! Late, fine condition C4's are now starting to climb in value and one reason is; (%44 of the entire 13 year C4 run was made in the 1st 4 years... 84-87)... so quality late C4' s are becoming more scarce.

Having owned both (95 Vert) I know I wanted a C5 when I originally started looking and settled for a C4. Now that I have the C5 I will never own a C4 again with the improvements in power, handling and refinement. I'm sure you want to buy the car to drive so don't worry about it being an investment. Buy it and drive it.:bu:Steer

95_vert.jpg

Perhaps you are right. Not a "Forgotten Model" as no Vette's are forgotten but not one admired through the years. Again; it was a short run (C5) and they made Way Too Many of them. They averaged over almost 1000 vehicles per year more than the C4 and made only 600+ in 1997. Late, fine condition C4's are now starting to climb in value and one reason is %35 of the entire 13 year C4 run was made in 84,85,& 86 so quality late C4' s are becoming more scarce.
C6 will more than likely be a shorter run and if you have a "forgotten model" it will be those.

Are you looking for an investment or a weekend driver or a daily driver? I have owned a '75, '90 and now have a 2000. The '75 got the most stares and thumbs up from people, but at 13 mpg, slower than most Civics, and no creature comforts (plus I was always afraid if I parked it something would happen-door dings, easy to break into, etc. that might lower its value), I finally decided that I did not want to drive it enough to justify keeping it. The 1990 was a great car, but at 45k miles, lots of things started breaking and were expensive to fix. Plus no trunk for weekend trips and no where to put my golf clubs.

I love my 2000. I drive it about 6-7k miles a year, nearly every day to work in the nice weather. Great gas milage, easy to drive fast, responsive, comfortable yet you still know you are driving a sports car.

The bottom line is what do you want. I miss my C3 and hope to be able to afford one soon for a weekend driver and parade car, but would also love to move into a C6.

Good luck in your search!

Perhaps you are right. Not a "Forgotten Model" as no Vette's are forgotten but not one admired through the years. Again; (C5) was a short run and they made...Way Too Many of Them. They averaged over 2900 vehicles per year more than the C4, while making only; 9752 in 1997!! Late, fine condition C4's are now starting to climb in value and one reason is; (%44 of the entire 13 year C4 run was made in the 1st 4 years... 84-87)... so quality late C4' s are becoming more scarce.

Per the original post to this thread: <<what would be a better investment?>>

This guy is single handedly CRUSHING C5 Values. Look at this low milage 2004 C5:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEBI:IT&viewitem=&item=280164802092&rd=1

Private Party KBB for this car in EXCELLENT condition is/was 33K

He sold another 2004 C5 in October (Although a high milage one) for under 20K

YIKES!!

Bargain

That e-bay car seems like a bargain to me. How unique is that with the red interior? I would want that car at that price. Wow.

Rick

:gap

I agree; I bid on it but just could not get it past the wife; as I would have had to store it elsewhere. Or moved my 96.

I LIKE that color combo !!

I am afraid; I still think in 2 years, one will be able to buy a car like that(C5) with 35-45k miles, for under $20K .

Txt Msg

That's an abbreviation by Dwayne...(6 Shooter)

L8TR = Later, as in, see you later (CUL8R)

- D = Dwayne, as in, "Dwayne the bathtub, I'm drowning" :boogie

It's all good. ;)

Rick
:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom