Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 or not C5...that is the question

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Just sold my 96 LT4 Collectors Edition last week as I was thinking about getting a C5. Been looking at them, drove one (auto) and it nice. Sure is easier to get in/out of, that's for sure! And can drive a 02 Z06 tomorrow...but having a difficult time in seeing, feeling the $12,000 difference between what I sold the '96 for and what I think I can get this Z06 at.

So tell me C5 owners out there....is it worth it...is the C5 that much better of a car over my 96 LT4 CE?

Thanks,
LannyL81

Come back and tell me your thoughts on the C5s AFTER you drive the Z06. ;)

Somehow, I think you'll be impressed by the Z06.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:

-Patrick

I agree with Patrick. The C4's are great cars, especially the LT4's. But the Z06 is pretty similar in power to the ZR1, and on a better platform.

Patrick said:

-Patrick
Great avatar!

Both are Great Corvettes!

The C5 has many technological advances as it should with the years between the C4's original design. One of the largest is the frame design and structural integrity of the C5. The C5's hydro-formed rails/tunnel is very rigid and does not flex like the C4. It also has all the advancements in the electronics.

Having owned an LT4 and now a C5, I'm glad I made the move last year. This by no means is a slam to the LT4, it is a brute of a C4!

Enjoy the hunt and let us know what you end up with.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Zeeeeeeee!! :_rock

JJS said:
Great avatar!

Thanks, JJS. I'm just doing my part to get into the Halloween party spirit.
:L

DWS'03Z said:
Zeeeeeeee!! :_rock

Better not let 67Heaven or Mac hear you say that- or any of our British friends for that matter. They'll be trying to correct you with:
"Zedddddddd"

So, Lanny, have you had the chance to drive the Z06 yet? Impressions?

-Patrick

If you get a chance to run the Z hard, it would be your choice. Hell it's worth 12000. extra just to be able to get in and out easier.

cj5nutz said:
Since we are here , what is the best year of the C5 to own?

I would vote for a 2003 or 2004. A 2003 50th anniv or a 2004 CE Z06. By 2003 they had resolved the oil consumption and erratic fuel gauge issues. You don't see many TSB's on 2003's and 04's.

Tammy

cj5nutz said:
Since we are here , what is the best year of the C5 to own?
The later the model the better. They kept refining the cars each year so the next year is better the then previous. So go for the '04 first and then work your way back to the '97. The general rule though is to by the best car that you can afford and to not focus on year alone.

tom...

cc.jpg

Tom73 said:
The later the model the better. They kept refining the cars each year so the next year is better the then previous. So go for the '04 first and then work your way back to the '97. The general rule though is to by the best car that you can afford and to not focus on year alone.

tom...

cc.jpg

Thank you Tom... Always looking for a deal...

Drove the 02 Z06, Electron Blue Black Interior

Yep, drove the Z06....overall nice car. But had trouble with the clutch pedal action. Only required about 1.5" of travel...very soft pedal....not used to it. Are all C5's 6 speeds like this?

Short drive, but nice. Getting in and out was so much easier, plenty of power. But like the seats in my 96 CE better....really liked the air bladders in those seats. Loved the analog gauges....my main dislike of my 96 was that digital speedo and the tach movement.

Car was all stock except the front tires have been replaced. 39400 miles, asking price was $33.2k and he has already turned down $30k. He is 2nd onwer...only had it since July..does not drive it much.

So what do you think....is the clutch action normal or need replaced? What is the cost of clutch replacement? Is it about the same as my 96?

Any other comments?

Thanks,
LannyL81
Tucson, AZ

R U Enjoying the Hunt ?

C5/C6 clutches operate very soft/easy.

The seats they stuck in the C5 ZO6's are not the best C5 seats . . . I think the sport seat option in regular C5's are much better seats.

I had the 96 Sport Seats in my LT4, they were/are Great Seats!

IMO - Convertible are the only way to fly . . .

I went from an 81 C3 to a 2004 C5. I didnt intend to go all out BUT once inside that car I wasn't about to leave it. Actually I went to check them out as far as getting in and out. The C3 was a pain! There is no comparison on the ride, handling, improvements. I ended up spending about $15 more than I planned to on a new car purchase but to me its worth it :)

LannyL81 said:
Yep, drove the Z06....overall nice car. But had trouble with the clutch pedal action. Only required about 1.5" of travel...very soft pedal....not used to it. Are all C5's 6 speeds like this?
it has been a while since I have driven my brother's '01 coupe, but as I recall, there is a difference in the clutch between the C5 and C5 Z......the Z does take some getting used to, but once you do, :naughty:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom