Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C5 power seat

DHoskins

Corvette
'98 Triple Black Vert
The driver side power seat works in all directions except backwards. It will go forward but won't reverse.
I have tried replacing the conrol switch but still no go. Someone said it is probably the motor not the relay.
I have extra motors because I replaced the worn track and saved the motors.
Does this sound logical for the motor to work 1 direction and not reverse?
How can I test the motor before I try replacing it?
Or........suggestions.

Thanks, Dennis

Inside the seat relay center, there is a relay that controls the movement of the seat forward and another one that controls the movement of the seat in reverse. Your reverse relay could be bad but there's no way to tell exactly without a scan tool. You also need to pull your codes and post them as that is the very first thing that you do when trouble-shooting a problem. You should not do anything until you pull the codes.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Sorry to take so long to reply but right after my post I went for surgery and I'm just now getting back into things.

I pulled the codes and did not have any A6 Seat Control Module codes.
The battery went dead so maybe thats why there was not a code but there were some other history codes.

Since the unit is big bucks and they are out of stock at GM!?!?
I switched the passenger seat relay (same p/n) and it works great.
A new one is on order!

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Dennis

Get well soon man!

My driver's seat is suddenly having a problem going up in the back of the seat (the part you actually sit on, not the seat back). I hear the motor, but when I pull the lever straight up, the seat front goes up but not the back.
Where is the relay center?

Any ideas??

The relay center is under the seat. Have you pulled your codes?

The relay center is under the seat. Have you pulled your codes?

Yes.. I just did and I show nothing. I hear the motor when I pull up on the lever but it only makes the front of the seat move. The rear of the seat is not functioning, which sucks because I'm 5'5" and could use a little more height on the seat

It appears from the schematic that they rear up and rear down are on two separate relays, which makes sense. I have a power passenger seat. Maybe I should borrow the relay from that one and see if it changes anything

It appears from the schematic that they rear up and rear down are on two separate relays, which makes sense. I have a power passenger seat. Maybe I should borrow the relay from that one and see if it changes anything

Before you remotely want to go through all that trouble, do this. See if you can physically lift the back of the seat. If you can, you have a different issue.

Before you remotely want to go through all that trouble, do this. See if you can physically lift the back of the seat. If you can, you have a different issue.

Hey Junkman,

The seat is removed and here is the problem. I don't know if the part is replaceable or not

imag0279k.jpg

By marylandcorvette at 2011-09-23

imag0278z.jpg

By marylandcorvette at 2011-09-23

That's why I told you to lift up on the seat first before you removed it. I suspected that this was your problem. The good news is I already did a thread on how to fix it. Here you go. The bad news is you're either going to have to buy a new set of tracks, or send your broken set off to be repaired at Dino's Corvette Salvage. Yours broke at a slightly different area than mine did but the end result is the same. Your tracks will have to be replaced. I bought new tracks because I didn't want to be without my car. Superior Chevy in KC sold them to me for around $600.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom